• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worth upgrading?

Soldato
My gaming PC died this week so I'm in the process of putting together a new build.
I built the PC at the beginning of 2006 so it's parts are a bit out of date and everything's getting swapped, but I'm wondering what to do about my graphics card.

I decided to upgrade my graphics last year and treated myself to a 4850 (512mb).
I've given myself a budget of £150 for a new graphics card, with that sort of budget, is it worth upgrading or should I stick with what I got?

Soldato
Well the 4850 is still plenty capable....at what resolution do you game and what's the rest of your setup?

You can get a 5850 for 200 which is quite a substantial upgrade, or the 5770 will be launched next week on the 12th, will retail for around 130 quid and I expect it to perform around 4890 performance. Of course it will also be much more power efficient and hopefully OC like crazy :)

Soldato
I consider the 4850 an ample strong enough card for the now time. You don't need a new card now. Do you see any problems with its performance?

Associate
Ive ordered a 5850 as I'm having to drop my gfx settings down to minimum to get barely double digit figures with 100 players on screen with a 512 4850.

Depends what games you are currently playing.

Soldato
If you want to wait a bit that £150 could net you a 5850, depends how crazy the price wars get though. Might only be a month or two.

If you game at 1920x1200 upwards then 512MB of vram might hurt you, otherwise like others have said you may as well keep it for now.

Also, hello, think I remember you from wireplay tfc / dod etc :)

Associate
Death Star or Mount Doom, it depends on the day.
My gaming PC died this week so I'm in the process of putting together a new build.
I built the PC at the beginning of 2006 so it's parts are a bit out of date and everything's getting swapped, but I'm wondering what to do about my graphics card.

I decided to upgrade my graphics last year and treated myself to a 4850 (512mb).
I've given myself a budget of £150 for a new graphics card, with that sort of budget, is it worth upgrading or should I stick with what I got?

What is your motherboard and monitor?

Soldato
OP
Guess I'll stick with the 4850 for the time being and upgrade further down the line.

And hi Orangey, very rare people remember me from my Wireplay days :p

Back
Top Bottom