Crucial M225 64gb or Intel X25-M 80gb?

Associate
Currently debating between pre-ordering one of these two.

What would you guys here go with and why?

Personally I'm erring with the M225 it's not quite as big but is cheaper, has a indilux controller and will probably be in stock a damn sight sooner than the intel.. Plus tho the intel is faster will it really be 'that' faster? I'll already see a massive boost by going with SSD anyway. I don't think the specs of the intel really justify the extra expense. But what do I know!

Advice appreciated.

Soldato
It all boils down to what you want to spend really. If you can afford the Intel then I'd go for that, but I personally have an M225 and I am more than happy with it.

Soldato
I've got around 65GB of stuff to store (Win7, apps, core games), so it was an easy decision to go for the Intel (It was £50 cheaper than M225 128GB at the time)
Make sure you've got some breathing room whatever you buy.

Soldato
Is this true? Is that just because of Window 7?

It's becasue of increased demand for NAND flash vs a fairly static production capacity, causing a price hike. The same flash that goes into SSD's is also used in your mobile phones, mp3 players, USB drives etc and as the economy recovers demand for all these goes up worldwide.
SSD's and Windows 7 are almost certainly a factor contributing to increased demand, but it's not as important as say the upcoming holidays season and its presents of tech goods.

I've made a prediction that (so long as the world economy continues to improve) it's going to be at least a year before process breakthroughs and increased production will be able to bring SSD prices down to the levels they were at this summer.

Soldato
I would go for the Intel, and I wanted to, but couldn't wait any longer so went for the 64GB Crucial, which arrived on my desk just now.

I'm cure cognitive dissonance will help reassure me that I've made the right choice ;)

Associate
Jimbo, I doubt you will see much of a difference in real world use - I can't tell between them for general day to day use.

It's a tougher decision now that the Crucial's have gone up in price though, at their original price it was almost a no-brainer to get one.

Soldato
I see what you mean about prices rising, the Intel 160Gb is up to £365 already!

I can still see it for £289! I can feel an impulse purchase coming on...

Back
Top Bottom