Dolphin-boy!

Soldato
This was on one of Derren Brown's shows the other week, though I don't remember what relevance human sonar had with guessing a picture but there you go.

Associate
Theres his cape...
73853488.png

But tbh... I don't think he'll make a great super hero... you only have to sneak up behind him... or trip him up....

Soldato
I didn't even think that we had that level of aural acuity, seriously impressed!

Unless he has some form of unusual hearing development that means he is better suited to this than most, I wonder if this is an avenue of "sight replacement" that might benefit more blind people?

Caporegime
never understood why people think that hairstyle is a good idea, didnt it used to be a popular hairstyle for homosexuals?

Associate
Watched a channel 5 documentary (i know:rolleyes:) on an american teenager who did this as well, was pretty impressive he cycled on roads, played football with friends etc. That guy from Derren Briwn show a few weeks ago was on it as well.

The teenager was wanting to be all independent and the older guy was trying to explain to him how he could still use a cane and be helped but still be independent. The teenager was having none of it and didnt want to show weakness and be thought as a normal teenager who went to school. Was a surprisingly good film for the usual channel 5 'freak' slot

Soldato
Doesnt your hearing get worse once you reach puberty? i mean the range of frequencys goes down over the years so perhaps this will not be something he can use for the rest of his life.

As a poster above said, surely humans dont have the aural capacity to do this normally? maybe a few people have such good hearing its possible but i suspect the average joe would not be able to do it.

Impressive non the less. :eek:

Man of Honour
Amazing skills! Hope he's able to use them for many years to come. :)

Unless he has some form of unusual hearing development that means he is better suited to this than most, I wonder if this is an avenue of "sight replacement" that might benefit more blind people?

I'm not sure how common this is, but I've heard it said that those who lose one sense can learn to develop heightened acuity in another to compensate.

I have no proof to back this up, but I used to regularly say I could hear things (no - not voices in my head :p) that others couldn't (e.g. I could tell a neighbour had a mechanical timeswitch). I've lost some of that as I've got older (as we all do), but I still get overwhelmed when in an environment with a lot of noise (e.g. pub/club). I'm partially sighted.

Caporegime
Doesnt your hearing get worse once you reach puberty? i mean the range of frequencys goes down over the years so perhaps this will not be something he can use for the rest of his life.

As a poster above said, surely humans dont have the aural capacity to do this normally? maybe a few people have such good hearing its possible but i suspect the average joe would not be able to do it.

Impressive non the less. :eek:

The bloke on Derren Brown, Daniel something was rather old ish and he was able to outline a car with very few "clicks".

I'm guessing you can only get better at it.

Back
Top Bottom