40 Years Of Monty Python

Caporegime
It is 40 years since Monty Python's Flying Circus amused, confused and outraged British audiences for the first time.

To mark the anniversary of the first BBC broadcast of the hugely influential sketch show, we list below our top ten Python moments. And there’s not a dead parrot in sight.

Upper Class Twit of the Year
Not a scene from this year’s Tory Party Conference in Manchester. John Cleese once claimed this skit was the reason for him never receiving a British honour.

The First Man To Jump The Channel
A running character throughout Monty Python, hapless Ron would often crop up undertaking impossible feats for publicity, forcefully encouraged by his unscrupulous manager Luigi Vercotti.

Here we see Ron’s greatest non-triumph.

Salad Days
Viewer discretion advised for this one.

This spoof sees timid stage musical Salad Days reimagined by ultra-violent Hollywood director Sam Peckinpah with inevitable results…

Woody and Tinny Words
One from the post Cleese era, Graham Chapman was rumoured to have been drunk during filming for this sketch.

Self Defense Against Fresh Fruit
John Cleese’s fearsome self defence expert makes a less than compelling argument that you’re more likely to be attacked with a bunch of loganberries than with a pointed stick by a homicidal maniac.

The Funniest Joke In The World
British "manufacturer of jokes" Ernest Scribbler, played by Michael Palin, inadvertently creates a weapon of mass destruction.

Something of a calling card for the show, this sketch appeared in the very first episode. A reworked version features in the Python film And Now for Something Completely Different.

Argument Clinic
As irritating as it is funny, this clip has arguably the best ending to a Monty Python skit ever.

Ministry of Silly Walks
Cleese once admitted he was disappointed that so many fans consider this to be Python’s “best” sketch, not least because as he grew older he found it increasingly difficult to perform the legendary march.

Hitler in Minehead
This sketch sees the Nazi leader enjoying an unlikely stay in a Somerset bed and breakfast.

The Olympic hide and seek final
As silly as Python gets, this is Terry Jones’ favourite sketch.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news...ror-co-uk-s-top-ten-sketches-115875-21724648/

Associate
I like the Hell's Grannies sketch. With the baby Snatchers and the Keep Left Signs. Aslo the women who collects milkmen. So obscure and sureal. Better than anything out there today! Spanish inquisition is my 6 years ols favourite.

Haha the policeman on the corner one is good to.

Too many to make a top ten of as everyone must have so many to mention.

Soldato
Anyone else collect the albums? I have all of the early ones in LP format, shame I don't currently have turntable to play them, probably worth a bit now too. Fish Licence is one of my fave routines.

Man of Honour
Anyone else collect the albums? I have all of the early ones in LP format, shame I don't currently have turntable to play them, probably worth a bit now too. Fish Licence is one of my fave routines.

I've got the complete set. They were my Introduction to Python. I pinched from my dads collection, along with Derek and Clive, Richard Prior and The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Back
Top Bottom