Mothers, can't live with em, can't live without them!

Soldato
Thought I'd mention the fact I was thinking of moving out having checked out a few places.. Before I'd even finished talking I was branded stupid, it's a stupid idea, what about my hip, I'd have to put the cats in the cattery and it makes "everything I've got here a waste of time"

Not quite sure what that last comment was directed at TBH and I didn't get a chance to ask as she stormed off to bed in a huff.

You'd think at my age she be glad to get rid of the burden of cooking, cleaning, washing and tidying my **** for the last 30 odd years.

Were your parents supportive in your ideas when you were moving out for good?

I'm sat here a bit stunned thinking WTF:(

Soldato
She's obviously upset at the prospect of losing you, maybe try talking to her and give her time to get her head round it

Soldato
She's probably insecure, she's so used to having you around she feels their would be nothing for her to do if you left?

My mum had a second kid when i was 17, basicly had to move out as the house wasn't big enough, fortunately I was able to go and live with my dad. (I had been alternating between each house weekly for about 15 years at the time). I still have my room at my dads could go and live there if i was desperate, renting a house with a few mates at uni atm.

Caporegime
Why would she have to put the cats in a cattery, why does it make everything she's got there "a waste of time"? And how the hell does her hip make any difference to anything? :confused:

I moved out at the age of 22, and my mother was tremendously supportive.

Soldato
At 24 years old I'm still living at home. I'm dabbling with the idea of moving into a student house and whilst my Mom isn't over the moon about the idea I know for certain that she'd be supportive, just as she would be for any decision that I might make.

Soldato
OP
Why would she have to put the cats in a cattery, why does it make everything she's got there "a waste of time"? And how the hell does her hip make any difference to anything? :confused:

I moved out at the age of 22, and my mother was tremendously supportive.

You're as confused as I am at the moment. A previous poster is, I guess, on the mark with "afraid of losing me".

That's one of the issues why I want to go really, she still treats me like I'm a teenager or younger, doing everything for me without even asking. I've grown up without having to lift a finger, I can see it's wrong, but let it slide so many times, I think it's time to go and make my own choices.

Soldato
I'm 25, been at parents' home for 2 years now since uni was over, but been looking for a houshare for a while. Mum doesn't want me to leave but I obviously have to to regain my own dependence. I'll still be back most weekends though for them and all my local friends though.

Soldato
I wouldn't be in any rush to move out of home if I could still go into London any time and stay with various friends at the weekend. What's the rush?

I guess I am biased because I didn't grow up at home full time and really appreciate it when I've spent months at home for the first time since I've had uni holidays.

/Misses Mum :(

Associate
Mine I don't think would have had me move out could she of helped .. but was forced to let me in the end because she had to sell our house and currently lives with relatives which I refused to do. She's looking into getting a new place and has asked me about living with her again but I just don't think I would I like being able to do what I want.

Soldato
I moved out once when I was 23, I was only gone for 3 months and ended up coming back. It's a very long and boring story thats been done to death here.

Needless to say at 27 I'm still here, rental prices on single bed flats down here are stupidly expensive.

Soldato
Not moving out after 20 is a MASSIVE fail.

Pathetic how many people seem to think they can sponge off their parents for so long these days. Some people even into their thirties...

Soldato

Pathetic how many people seem to think they can sponge off their parents for so long these days. Some people even into their thirties...

It's neither pathetic nor sponging off for many people. I can fully afford to move out but it's been convenient so far as I'm saving money. Besides, whilst I don't get charged rent, I have paid for half my dad's £4k car, half of the family holiday @ £2k, most new white goods, recarpeting, loft insulation, etc. Less freedom/independence is the only downside but some people can live with that.

My friend in his thirties lost his job earlier this year and is staying at his parents' because he can't afford a place on his own right now. Not willing to debate his money saving skills, he's just stuck at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato

Not particularly, you can't make generalisations like that as you don't know the circumstances.
I'm turning 21 and I haven't moved out yet.
I'm also a student and I can't afford to get my own place in the capital.

Does that make me a massive fail? I think not.

Soldato
I practically moved out when I went to Uni when I was 18 and both parents were very supportive, even saying that it was important that I left and not to come back all the time!

I officially moved out at 22 really after Uni (four year course) and I no longer have a room at my parent's house

Best thing I ever did IMO - I couldn't live with my parents any more as I enjoy having my own place too much (now 25)

I couldn't afford to move out on my own so I just shared with friends

Back
Top Bottom