Converting CR2/raw image files in bulk to JPEG

Ryx

Ryx

Associate
I'd be terribly grateful for some advice on converting loads of CR2/raw image files to JPEG.

The problem is this: a very close friend of mine died recently and he was a great photographer, as you can tell from this thread I'm nowhere near as experienced, his hard drive is full of fantastic images that understandably lots of people want copies of. They are organised into folders, year by year and with subfolders for months and various events. The vast majority of them are saved as CR2 or other types of raw image. While I can view them in Photoshop most people that would like copies will really need them to be JPEGs. I know I can save them one by one as a JPEG but there are thousands of images and this simply isn't a practical option.

Is there any software that would convert all of the images to JPEG en masse, while maintaining the file structure and retaining the originals? Essentially duplicating the entire photo library but in JPEG format.

Many thanks in advance - this is an epic project and I'd really like to be able to get the photos to people soon.

Associate
Adobe lightroom does this as does photoshop, you need to record a profile in photoshop to do it though. I think theres a 30day trial of lightroom you can use.

Soldato
+1 These guys recommended lightroom to me and I ended up buying it...

Had to process 1000 images and so far made light work of it all! (no pun intended :D) Adjusting images to get them looking great takes seconds. If you have dual monitors then it feels like an extremely professional tool with dedicated library/editing screens.

Ryx

Ryx

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions - your help is much appreciated. I'll give XNview a go as it's free and, if that doesn't work, I'll try lightroom.

Ryx

Ryx

Associate
OP
I might well do that as well, if only to have a bit of a play around with it. XNview is brilliant for what I need though - it is running in the background now converting over 10,000 raw images and duplicating the folder structure. It was an excellent suggestion, thanks Hodders.

Back
Top Bottom