MSI P55 GD65 and Dominator fans? Or any P55 and Ram fan issues?

Associate
Anyone know how well a dominator Ram fan would sit with the MSI p55 motherboard?

I am now wondering about say an MSI P55 GD65, with an i7 860 and 4Gb Dominator GT 1600Mhz C7 (well it's nice n red with a wee fan LOL).

I assume that should do 4Gb OC with ease? But would it be better than an AMD 955 or i7 920 option? (this set up would have to be worth it over an AMD 955 system as I would have to sell a couple of nice bicycle parts to fund it!)

Indeed is OC'ing an i7 860 worthwhile? Do you lose some other functions and benefits?

I had seen a link somewhere showing the i5, i7 ranges and the 965 compaired in benchmarks on some site like Toms hardware or such, but can't find it?

And sorry about all the various threads and questions guys, I am just so indecisive.

Associate
It seems that most high-end air CPU coolers block or come very close to the 1st RAM slot on P55 boards. I have started a thread on the subject here.

I'd say a RAM fan would only complicate things, if you have a large CPU cooler. An H50, on the other hand, wouldn't intrude hardly at all and should leave ample space.

You won't 'lose' anything from OCing an 860; the only drawback is more heat, which can damage the processor and/or motherboard if it is not dissipated and drawn away properly.

Back
Top Bottom