Win7 internet network connection problems

Associate
Hi all,
I am currently running win7 & have lost my connection to the internet (ISP: Sky)

The OS was installed on Sat night & it ran perfectly until Monday night.
I have tried a few things, very basic but with no luck. It keeps saying I have no IP address and something about it being a public network / unidentified.
Sorry its vague, I would have done this from home.. but I have no internet connection :(

I am hard wired to the PC through a ethernet.
My netgear hub from which this is connected is providing wifi perfectly to my PS3.

The annoying thing is I called Sky & told them & their response was:

"unfortunately we do not support win7 yet"

I said I'd move to a new provider & was told that I'd have the same issues no matter where I went !!!

Am I missing something? Please help

Associate
If your PS3 is still having correct access to the internet that means it is either Windows 7 DHCP configuration or a bug in Windows 7, I'll be more in favor of the first since I doubt there are any bugs left ;)

You should try to verify your DHCP settings, I can't help a lot more really because I'm not familiar with Windows 7 but try searching around for a way to find these informations. Your computer should be configured to get an IP address automatically from your provider thru the DHCP service and not fixed address.

Associate
OP
I set up the home & work options to do this
ie automatically, as this was in the guides given with the Sky manual (takes you through it step by step..... thank god).
So if that's what you mean then no that didn't work either boo :(

Associate
OP
Ok, called the wife to have a look at home for me so I could give some more info...

Bearing in mind this didn't happen after I installed something or made hardware changes, it just happened.
I connect to a router via an ethernet cable & PS3 via wifi (which works perfectly online).
Win7 says the network adaptor is working okay.
It does a self-diagnosis and gives me this message:

"Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration* Not Fixed

& that's it...... no internet :(

Associate
I would consider that it's highly unlikely to be anything to do with Windows 7 unless someone's been messing with your firewall.
Try checking all of your network connection/settings and reset your router.

Associate
This might help.

Start > Run > Services.msc

Locate: "##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B87 9762 ##"

Right Click > Select Properties
From the drop down select Disabled
Click Stop
Click Apply

Reboot

Seems to occur in win 7 build 7100 and 7127.

I nabd most of this info off the net having done a few quick searchs for one of our customers with a similar issue, so please feel free to let me know if it helps.

Associate
OP
No offence meant but you haven't got many posts to your name & I'd prefer if someone could confirm this is a possible countermeasure before I try it.
Again, no offence meant.

So, can someone confirm this is not a suicide progam to my PC :)

Associate
Its cool.

Ive mostly been lurking on the forums and planning on ordering a new pc once windows 7 comes out. :p

The service you stop there only seems related to the "unidentified network" message that ocasionaly crops up and if its anything like vista, stoping it shouldnt cause any major issues.

Pc support is my day job and thus Im interested in any gen issues / fixs that people stumble across.

Last edited:
Don
if you only have one machine at home

then in work, donwload this..

http://www.slax.org/get_slax.php

and burn it to disc (download the .iso file)

burn that file as an image using imgburn

if you boot from that, it'll give you a live linux environment (won't touch your hard drive), where you can load firefox (and in turn, access these forums)

if firefox works from there (it should) then I'd suggest there's a problem with either..

router/hub port
cable
network port

check in device manager to see if the network card is all enabled etc..

Associate
OP
Hi all,
Still got the same issues (can't download at work bledd.... grrrr)

Found these two posts on other .....sites

"Yup. Disabling homegroup worked. All my wireless clients can connect just fine now.
Hope this gets hammered out before the win 7 release. I like the concept of the homegroup. "

"I had the exact same issue. I disabled the HomeGroup Provider and Listener on the Windows 7 machine. And then rebooted both the machines (Windows 7 and Vista). It fixed the problem. Both machines were able to connect to the wireless router. HomeGroup Provider/Listener service on the Windows 7 is the culprit. "

can someone tell me how to disable homegroup........ tried a couple of times over wknd but with no luck.
Step by step would help

Cheers in advance

Associate
I have seen a smililar issue several times and it is caused by the apple bonjour service.

Either disable the service (Which is a random name such as Ggfgdf%$£$) in services or just un-install it.

Associate
OP
Cheers bledd, will try later.

question: I've not installed itunes yet(no internet), I thought thats where Bonjour comes from.
Is it possible an automatic windows update has caused this error?
Really annoying me now, how can there be internet compatibilty issues this close to full release.
There are loads of people online with the same concern........ but no real solid anwsers.
I need someone who has had the issue & reolved it robustly i.e. They can replicate it the other way.
Nightmare !!! :(

Associate
Yes typically the bonjour service does install as part of ITunes, however it may also be installed with other Apple products such as QuickTime so it is worth checking.

I have seen the bonjour issue on several stations running Windows 7 Final. Removing the services fixed the issue in each instance.

Associate
OP
Yes typically the bonjour service does install as part of ITunes, however it may also be installed with other Apple products such as QuickTime so it is worth checking. I have seen the bonjour issue on several stations running Windows 7 Final. Removing the services fixed the issue in each instance.

Ok will do but i seriously haven't installed anything yet other than AVG, Crysis & firefox.. then I lost all connection & still haven't got it back..... booooooo

Sorry to hear its still an issue. Have you tried bypassing your hub and power cycleing the sky equip ?

Umm.... can you tell me how (nerd newbie here) :)

Got a few things to try tonight:
Uninstalling Homegroup
Removing Bonjour if found

Will feedback tomorrow...... or hopefully tonight from home PC (fingers crossed..... but not holding breath)

Associate
OP
Hi all...... surprise surprise i'm am at home typing this !!! :) :) :)

Took PC to friends house, connected to his router, all worked ok, changed absolutely no settings. Brought it back & connected to my router & bingo ta-daaa.

Now I am expecting it to bomb out within the next few days.

All I can think is its a firmware update that's required from my ISP for this 'netgear' router, which will come out in time for official release.

Will keep you posted

Back
Top Bottom