Guinness Foreign Extra......let down!

Soldato
Im talking about the bottled stuff, anyway....
Like WTH?!
It's fizzy, not smooth.
It's watery, not thick.
The head is a dirty brown, not white.
It doesn't taste that great!

I am very unhappy about this! :mad:
Fortunately i only got the one bottle for £1 and even better than that is....
Earlier i went to odd bins and got myself a bottle of:

Brew Dog Paradox 10%
Brewsheet
ABV:10%
OG:1092
IBU’s:70
Malts:Marris Otter, Dark Crystal, Caramalt, Chocolate Malt, Roast Barley
Hops:Galena, Bramling Cross
Twist:Aged for 6 months in a Scotch malt whisky cask (Springbank)
http://www.brewdog.com/paradox.php
Cant wait to try this :D

and i got myself a REAL bottle of Czech Budweiser Budvar
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/58/Budvar_UK.JPG/450px-Budvar_UK.JPG

Anyway, has anyone else had very disappointing experiences with beers?
I just don't understand how bottled Guinness can be the opposite of the stuff on tap and in a can!

Flare

Last edited:
Caporegime
Guiness is awful stuff, even the supposedley 'genuine' Irish stuff. Really don't like it.

Budvar, on the other hand, is extremely good. It makes a mockery of the American Bud which no right-thinking individual should ever touch. They do a number of nice beers here in New Zealand - Macs do a fine range, as do Monteiths. There's far more flavour to them than the typical European Stella/Carlsberg/Holsten.

I fancy a beer now and it's only 11.20am :D

Soldato
OP
[FnG]magnolia;15055552 said:
Stella/Carlsberg/Holsten.

I fancy a beer now and it's only 11.20am :D

Eurgh!

Well have one then! It really annoys me how some people will look down at someone drinking a beer at any other time which isn't with lunch, dinner or on a night out. Why can't people who actually enjoy beer and drink it for the pleasure and flavour drink it when they want to!?
/rant over
:D

Soldato
I just go to the proper pubs and order the local beer, 90% of the time it knocks the mass produced crap out of the water.
Though i am hooked on hobgoblin at the moment.
I might actually open a bottle now that where talking about drinks of the gods.

Soldato
Paradox is a real nutter of a beer. Have a couple of bottles in my room back home. It's an odd taste, but you can definitely taste the alcohol in it.

EDIT: It is the whiskey that stands out flavour wise.

Soldato
OP
I just go to the proper pubs and order the local beer, 90% of the time it knocks the mass produced crap out of the water.
Though i am hooked on hobgoblin at the moment.
I might actually open a bottle now that where talking about drinks of the gods.

I'm yet to try Hobgoblin!
I found a brilliant pub in Preston the other week (called Market Tavern), it servers all sorts of ales, Belgian beers and German Weissbeers. Many on tap and bottled i love it there :D
Although last time i went in i got a lot of funny looks (im 18 and the majority of people in there were 40+ :D )

Paradox is a real nutter of a beer. Have a couple of bottles in my room back home. It's an odd taste, but you can definitely taste the alcohol in it.
sounds good, i want to try the Tokyo which is 18.5%

Last edited:
Soldato
Brew Dog Paradox 10%
Brewsheet
ABV:10%
OG:1092
IBU’s:70
Malts:Marris Otter, Dark Crystal, Caramalt, Chocolate Malt, Roast Barley
Hops:Galena, Bramling Cross
Twist:Aged for 6 months in a Scotch malt whisky cask (American Bourbon)
http://www.brewdog.com/paradox.php
Cant wait to try this :D

and i got myself a REAL bottle of Czech Budweiser Budvar
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/58/Budvar_UK.JPG/450px-Budvar_UK.JPG

Anyway, has anyone else had very disappointing experiences with beers?
I just don't understand how bottled Guinness can be the opposite of the stuff on tap and in a can!

Flare

Eh? Am I missing something about the bold bit, how can American Bourbon be classed as Scotch?

Anyway, I was a tad disappointed with some random German wheat beer i had a few months back, very thin. On the whole though, I tend to search out proper beer (be it ales or quality continental stuff) and am rarely disappointed.

Oh and Budvar is lovely; try some of the Budvar Dark stuff as well, really tasty.

Soldato
I'm drinking zywiec at the moment, got a taste for in in a wetherspoons a few years back and saw them in asda tonight whilst doing the weekly shop, Treated myself to a couple of bottles

Soldato
OP
[FnG]magnolia;15055613 said:
I'll tell my Director that you said it was okay :o

Sounds like it could be a problem.
But as i am a qualified doctor* i say it is fine.

*i can not be held responsible for anything i say that is wrong and leads to any sort of physical or mental problem and/or issue :p

Soldato
I'm yet to try Hobgoblin!
I found a brilliant pub the other week, it servers all sorts of ales, Belgian beers and German Weissbeers. Many on tap and bottled i love it there :D
Although last time i went in i got a lot of funny looks (im 18 and the majority of people in there were 40+ :D )

Not as bad as my new local, went in with a mate for a few after work drinks.
tried the local ale, larger and bitter.
When suddenly we were blindsided by free Sandwhiches, not ordinary sandwiches but in my honest opion the best sandwich i have ever tasted.
So after finishing of the sandwhich of the god's i had a few drinks, then out of nowhere a guitar appears and the whole pub (20 odd people) is singing classic rock songs!!
It is officaiily my favorite pub :D

Soldato
OP
Eh? Am I missing something about the bold bit, how can American Bourbon be classed as Scotch?

Anyway, I was a tad disappointed with some random German wheat beer i had a few months back, very thin. On the whole though, I tend to search out proper beer (be it ales or quality continental stuff) and am rarely disappointed.

Oh and Budvar is lovely; try some of the Budvar Dark stuff as well, really tasty.

"3. cask is then used to mature American Bourbon, releasing wonderful flavours from the oak
4. cask then undertakes a perilous marine voyage across the Atlantic, narrowly escaping the clutches of storms, giant squid and pirates
5.safely at the Scottish distillery it is used to mature the finest Whisky, adding depth and character to the flavours inculcated in the oak"

The Scottish whiskey is Springbank.

I'm drinking zywiec at the moment, got a taste for in in a wetherspoons a few years back and saw them in asda tonight whilst doing the weekly shop, Treated myself to a couple of bottles

I take it it's nice then?

Not as bad as my new local, went in with a mate for a few after work drinks.
tried the local ale, larger and bitter.
When suddenly we were blindsided by free Sandwhiches, not ordinary sandwiches but in my honest opion the best sandwich i have ever tasted.
So after finishing of the sandwhich of the god's i had a few drinks, then out of nowhere a guitar appears and the whole pub (20 odd people) is singing classic rock songs!!
It is officaiily my favorite pub :D

Now that is a brilliant pub! :D
Where abouts is it? :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Now that is a brilliant pub! :D
Where abouts is it? :p

South wales, bridgend, garw valley, pontyrhyl.
Classic old miners/ valleys pub

But the sandwiches my gawd man fresh home made bun's, welsh ham, fresh lettuce and a releash so divine!! i swear i nearly cried!!

Also the bears were great in a miners gas lit room wiht a gentle fire burning in the hearth :D
I want to go back again :D

Soldato
OP
South wales, bridgend, garw valley, pontyrhyl.
Classic old miners/ valleys pub

But the sandwiches my gawd man fresh home made bun's, welsh ham, fresh lettuce and a releash so divine!! i swear i nearly cried!!

Also the bears were great in a miners gas lit room wiht a gentle fire burning in the hearth :D
I want to go back again :D

i live damn far away but the temptation to go... what's it called? :p

The nicest lager I have ever tasted, I'm not a lager drinker but love this stuff

that could just mean it's a terrible lager than :p

Soldato
that could just mean it's a terrible lager than :p

Haha, nope, I have tried a pretty large selection and hated most, there are a few though that I could drink over and over again, this is one of them

This and carling and stella are in a league of their own they are great beers that I could drink all day and I hope that if you are still reading this that you haven't rage replied and know that I was completely joking about stella and carling :p

Last edited:
Soldato
i live damn far away but the temptation to go... what's it called? :p

Braichycymmer be its name, try saying that when your drunk :D
Anyway its apperently classed as a hotel?

Maybe we should have ocuk offical Drinks review thread for non standred largers, bitters and ales + ciders?

Ive now got "country roads" stuck in my head thinking about my local evening.

Last edited:
Permabanned

Is it Polish

Polish beer is nice its strong and but has a lager taste to it, I like Tyskie stronge in % a few of them and you are rocking.

Back
Top Bottom