How good is wireless N?

I am not looking to buy an N router right now, but for those who have it, how good is it?

We have had wireless for 5-6 years now.
b was rubbish because itr was slow with poor range
g is good but my bedroom is a big deadspot due to some metal beams above and below the room (it is above the garage).

TIA

Associate
I am currently using a D-Link wireless-N USB dongle on a D-link Router from virgin media. And I get the full 50Mb/s speed of our line, And in games my ping is around 15-25ms. I'm 1 floor away from the router but the walls/floors are probably paper thin.

The connection still works well yet another floor up too.

Associate
It's fantastic, but make sure not to use a USB adapter. In my experience these cripple the connection. Make sure you get the Edimax PCI with 3 antennas.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It's very good and stable, depends on your router I guess but here's a quick xfer test from my PC (wired gigabit upstairs, router downstairs) to a wireless N client (laptop) which is located upstairs also.

wirelessnspeed.jpg

That is with my sis using her laptop at the moment too (concurrent RDP with hidden account ***!)

Associate
i'm currently using the virgin netgear kit, n router and dongle. In the attic the dongle in the gaming rig gets 40 - 45Mbits off reputable test sites. I've an old victorian town house so the walls and floor are thick but the only steel on the outside wall holding her up.

range is brilliant but - using the same dongle in this laptop (toshiba pro L100) I never get more than 25Mbits - and to get that I'm sat in the next room. I don't know much about this stuff really but I think it's the laptop bottlenecking - the dongle itself connects to the router at 280Mbits+.

biggest issue is router kicking wireless connections - known netgear issue and just needs powering off/on.

Back
Top Bottom