Help Caddy Not Running At Sata-300

Associate
Hi all

I have purchased this from OCUK

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-031-BT&tool=4

I have put a Seagate 1TB in this and all is working perfectly apart from that its not running at sata-300 its only running at sata-150....

I can tell this as if i plug the drive directly to the mobo then the speed is far faster than when inside the caddy..

I have tried this caddy on 3 different pc's and its the same on all of them..

I had the first item replaced as OCUK said it could be faulty but this one is the same..

Has anyone any ideas on what could be causing this problem..

As I said in the caddy its running like crap and out the caddy its super fast...

All the best....

Sean

Soldato
Are you using USB? Because that's supposed to be slow.

Otherwise SATA 1.5Gb vs. SATA 3Gb won't make a difference as the drive couldn't saturate either.

Associate
OP
Are you using USB? Because that's supposed to be slow.

Otherwise SATA 1.5Gb vs. SATA 3Gb won't make a difference as the drive couldn't saturate either.

ya can only use the usb when the caddy is taken out of the docking station and used as an external drive..

I have this caddy in the docking station and the sata cable is hard wired into it..

If i have the drive in the caddy and try to unpack a 4.7gig file it will take (just making this up but about right) about 5 minutes..

If i plug the drive directly to the mobo and do the same it will take say 2 or 3..

It defintely takes longer in the caddy 100% guaranteed..

Thanks

Caporegime
Sorry, I hadn't noticed it was in a caddy with a normal sata connection, you see e-sata in specs and you jump to conclusions :p

Theoretically it should be the same speed in or out, its going through a couple extra steps and I would assume some chip on the pcb on the inside of the enclosure where it then goes to usb or e-sata. Are there any jumpers on the pcb where the hdd connects at all, maybe a jumper that lets you switch between modes so it can support older drives more easily.

Been trying to see reviews, can only find one on hardware cannucks, that suggests its got decent throughput, is limited to sata 1, but thats not really an issue. Same drive tested on a different but similar caddy gets the same average speed and really thats all that matters. Unfortunately they didn't test the same drive internally so can't really guess exactly how fast the drive should have been. Burst speeds are higher for sata 2, but in reality that doesn't effect performance in any meaningful way.

sata1/2 isn't the issue, its if the caddy's interface/controller, is slowing the drive down or not, which I would guess it is.

It shouldn't take twice as long, if it does, its certainly not due to sata 1/2, not necessarily a fault either, maybe just a low performance interface chip that can't take a higher throughput.

Associate
OP
You can def tell the difference when either unpacking or packing rar files etc...

Mega slow when in the caddy but twice as fast when the drives directly connected to the board..

Well weird.....

Back
Top Bottom