Camera Insurance

Soldato
Anyone of you guys have your kit insured?

I'm in 2 minds to get mine insured or not. I'm a very very careful person with my kit and very protective of it when out in public but with my recent upgrades, it will all comes to a total of £1600ish worth of kit;
Olympus E-620
HLD-5 Grip
25mm f2.8
50mm f2.0
14-54mm f2.8-3.5
Metz A-48 flashgun

With this amount of kit and 90% chance of all kit going out with me whenever I'm out, it would be wise to assure myself with some insurance, right?

I've looked at http://www.eandl.co.uk/leisure-and-lifestyle/camera-insurance and http://www.photoguard.co.uk/ , anyone used them? For around £7 a month, it feels like a no brainer but do one really need it? £7-9 a month is more added bills to my studenty life, on top of my phone bills, rent and electric/gas...

I'm currently residing in Uni head-leasing accommodation in hull, so no home content insurance, but my home in Portsmouth has it.

Any opinions?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm thinking the exact same thing. My lot is coming in around £1800 and with me getting to go pitchside and the football insurance is looking like a better option should a ball / player get a bit too close for comfort.

On another note accidents do happen so regardless of how careful you are some of your friends might not be so careful.....

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18035835

Through no fault of my own I've had to have my camera repaired once already within 10months of getting it so i think a few extra pounds a month will give you the peace of mind that even if something goes wrong you will be covered :)

Soldato
OP
Aadduki works out cheaper for me but are there any difference, be it major or minor, between that and photoguard? I might just want one that protects me from accidents, theft and lost, nothing too fancy.

And what's this personal liability? I don't need that do I? I don't handle other people's camera, much less attempt to destroy them...

Soldato
And what's this personal liability? I don't need that do I? I don't handle other people's camera, much less attempt to destroy them...

If you were to personally suffer injury whilst using your photographic equipment, Photoguard provides cover up to £10,000 (PRO) or £5,000 (Select) for death and permanent total disablement and £5,000 (PRO) or £2,500 (Select) for loss of limb or eye. This is included with every Photoguard Select public liability extension or Photoguard PRO policy.

Put simply if you were to drop your camera on your foot or poke your eye out with a pop up flash you'd be covered for being a numpty :p

or if it was public liability you meant

Public liability is also known as third party liability and personal liability. This cover protects you against third party claims for injury or damage to people or property - so, for example, in the event that a lighting stand you set up falls onto a member of the public and causes injury or damage - that person could claim against you for compensation.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ah. I was silly, I meant public liability...
might omit that from my insurance quote as chances are, my camera isn't going to poke someone's eye out unless my flash causes someone's seizures...

Soldato
Use photoguard myself. Never had to make a claim so couldn't tell you about that side of things.

I believe with photoguard you get some PBL insurance as well as an option.

Associate
Photoguard here as well.... £5K of kit with 30 day worldwide option and been with them for 2 years without a clam.

Have just managed to talk my boss into paying for next years cover as I now do a bit of corporate portraiture, documenting our media pitches for new business and charity work.

Soldato
Out of the two the OP posted eandl works out about 27quid cheaper for me but thats including professional cover (which I'm not) along with the public liability which i will be needing (pitchside placement at the football)

Anyone had any dealings with that place over photoguard or adduki (not looked at that yet)

EDIT :

How was your trip away Oxygen?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I've just practiced what I preached. Just got myself insured with E&L for £2140 of equipment. Policy of £65 per year so I'm happy with that although I'm guessing that I'll have to alter it in December cos I'm sorely tempted to replace my 70 - 300 IS USM f4 - 5.6 with a 70 - 200 IS USM f2.8 :D

Back
Top Bottom