PCI Raid Card vs. On Board Raid

Associate
I pretty much want to attain results much like that of the OCZ Z-Drive. Ultimately, which is faster? 3 SSD in a raid array plugged onto the motherboard (Asus II Gene) or 3 SSD pluged into a Raid Card into the PCI slot.

Its still unclear from all the reading if its possible to boot an operating system from a Raid Controller Card plugged into the PCI slot. Can anyone just put me out of my misery and tell me if this is possible? (Asus II Gene mobo in reference).

I've still to purchase the raid card so any tips on one that would fulfil this requirement would be much appreciated!

Associate
OP
Cool, thats cleared up. Time to get a raid card, running out of storage space, need more Sata Ports... any recommendations?

Thats the big question, which is faster? Raid Card or On Board Raid??? I still need the fastest interface to install my OS and other apps... anyone know which is fastest?

Soldato
can you get PCI-E raid card?

Yes, you can.

If you're just running RAID0, the ICH10R on your Asus Rampage 2 GENE will be fine.
Theres not much point in going for an add in card unless you're planning on using RAID5 or need a lot of bandwidth (4+ SSD's), considering the cost of a decent raid controller (>£300 new).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom