• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Problems with my 4870x2 Drivers

Associate
Hi all, Ive been having major problems since watercooling my shapphire 4870x2 Graphics card. Crashes/bsod's. On the bsod giving me errors on the atikmdag.sys ... :(

I have been doing some research into the problem. I have tried loads of different drivers, and other bits on different forums STILL no luck.

Im at a lost end now. Please help.

Thank You.

Associate
OP
Yes the blocks cooling the card great. Im hoping its not hardware realated, and just a driver issue.

Any other suggestions chaps?

Associate
OP
**Update**

Managed to install 9.7 driver but device manager showing VGA video controller not installed !!

And only 1 Core running on the gfx card. Im gonna snap this bloody thing up in a minute!

Soldato
There was a problem with that particular block and one screw being too long and causing problems.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3260674#post3260674

Make sure the thermal pads are all making contact. Dab of ceramique will always tell.

img1494resize719pu9.jpg

I used stainless M3x6 socket button screws and M3 fibre washers.

dscf2900rh9.jpg

Last edited:

D13

D13

Associate
Have you tried putting the stock cooler back on?

Have you tried a fresh install?

Do you cool anything else on the loop? i mean has the pump always been in there, or did you just add it to cool the card? maybe the psu struggling to cope (i know that is a long shot)

Worth putting the cpu at stock clock as well. At least while trying to diagnose prob

Last edited:
Associate
OP
things i have tried

removed ram, tried different slots.
Format
stock cooler back on
re applied thermal pads, compound
reset bios (all running at stock)
Latest drivers, older drivers (gfx)
Bios update.

So many people have been having this problem (google) but i cannot find a fix for the error.

Only other thing in the loop is my CPU

Associate
Hi.

I was getting the same error "atikmdag.sys" I did everything to try and resolve this with no luck i'm afraid. Numerous e-mails betweem myself and ati cat guys ended with a near argument... They said it's a card problem, i reckoned it was a driver problem. Anyways i bit the bullet and got a new card 4870 and have never had the problem since. Old card was a 3870x2...

Associate
OP
Something I didnt want to hear :(

Has anyone used shapphire RMA ? Thing is the card is second hand from the Members market, I've fitted a waterblock, but have the stock cooler. When removing the stock cooler one of the screws on the X-bracket rounded off!!

Are they fussy? will the notice, and refuse to repair?

Back
Top Bottom