The sorry state of PC Gaming

Associate
Weel once again i find myself conpletely deflated and thoroughly dissapointed at the latest much hyped PC game release.
Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising. What was i hoping for? Obviously too much as what we got was a severly dumbed down,console port version of what i was hoping for.
But its the same old story isnt it? I have lost count of how many releases i have looked forward too and had on pre order for months before being completely dissapointed. Previously it was Hearts of Iron. Probably one of the greatest in depth strategy games of late. The much waited for sequel was a poorly crafted buggy, slow running, waste of time that offered nothing over the original.
But heh! Come on! If you were a game developer what would you do? Concenrate on the small niche market of combat simulation etc genre or go for the mass market of FPS, exactly, go where the £££ is, so i dont blame them.
Where does that leave us though. Well i hope not as bad as most might think. We are seeing a lot of really good games coming from small developers concentrating on niche genres and that is only a good thing.
But as far as big budget titles... I finally give up.. I am waiting to see what COD MWF2 comes of then i am never pre ordering a PC game again but instead downloading a 'demo version' and then, if it lives up to my expectations buy the real deal.

Opinions Pease!!

Klo

Klo

Soldato
Don't we get one of these threads every day?

The answer as you say if to simply not preorder a game, and wait until it comes out and see what other people/reviews say.

Games I'm personally looking foward to coming out are Borderlands, COD:MW2, Assassins Creed 2, Bioshock 2.

Associate
OP
Apologies if this seems repetative to you guys.
Sorry for that, i have only posted on here a few times and was not aware of previous threads about this subject.
Sorry i spoke (typed)

Associate
Apologies if this seems repetative to you guys.
Sorry for that, i have only posted on here a few times and was not aware of previous threads about this subject.
Sorry i spoke (typed)

try using the forums search fuction before posting on some occasions, but don't worry about people bieng a bit bitchy, you'll find that a lot.

Soldato
I'm sorry but I dl games and then try them and if I like them, i.e. they aren't crappy console ports like such games as Flashpoint or Scarface or NFS, then I buy them!

I am also looking forward to MW2

Associate
I thought PC gaming have been dying since 2001 ? God knows, the only thing that will actually kill it is discussing this to death :D

i think that depends on the type of game you like. to me strategy games only really work with keyboard and mouse, whereas a lot of other games are a lot better on console apart from the graphics with pc will always be better with.

Soldato
Racing games I find better on consoles, sadly I don't play them (racing games). I got all geared up for PS3 with their keyboard and mouse support and now I see very little games incorporating that :(. The TCO of consoles really appeal to me ..... and that's about it right now.

Associate
OP
I know i wish i had got Arma 2 before but the hype over Operation Flashpoint 2 was so much i thought it was going to be way better tha Arma 2, obviously not.
And to all those folk saying the like of 'Seen this before move on' why not have a bit of respect for new forum members and let them say what ever they want. If you dont see the point in replying to and contining a thread then dont reply to it, and it will sink in the list and die if its not that relavant. Unlike this one!
Sorry for that but feel a bit offended by folk that have thousands of posts telling me with 11 posts that my thoughts are irrelevant.

Associate
What hype did the new flashpoint get?
It got a lot of adverts, but reviews are overall only average at best.

If you are talking about the sort of hype that comes before the game is released .... lol, that stuff is just what you are being told to think.

wake up and smell the coffee ;)

Permabanned
There are many games that dont live up to the hype, but it doesnt mean pc gaming it dying , a bad game is a bad game it doesnt matter what platform its on. If its as bad as people are saying i'd assume its worse on consoles.

As for pre ordering i vrey rearly do it, as you just sets you up to be dissapointed, there are very few games that can live up to your expectations anyways. I always find its best not to listen to the hype and the preveiws, and judge the game on reveiws and what other people say.

Caporegime
Weel once again i find myself conpletely deflated and thoroughly dissapointed at the latest much hyped PC game release.

<insert game title here> IT'S A LET DOWN, PC GAMING IS **** AND IT'S GOING DOWN THE PAN.

A thread like this turns up every other day.
Being a new member, you could have checked the **Official Operation Flashpoint thread** seeing as this is related to your latest gripe about PC gaming.

Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising. What was i hoping for? Obviously too much as what we got was a severly dumbed down,console port version of what i was hoping for.

You've had the game a few days, you might consider waiting to see if they help fix problems in a patch, or heavens forbid you could have waited for some reviews to help you decide to spend your hard earned money or not.

But its the same old story isnt it? I have lost count of how many releases i have looked forward too and had on pre order for months before being completely dissapointed.

As above, wait, having to wait a few days until after release to play a game won't kill you. You should probably just wait and read a few reviews before hand, or try a demo ( Yes I know OF: DR doesn't have a demo )

But heh! Come on! If you were a game developer what would you do? Concenrate on the small niche market of combat simulation etc genre or go for the mass market of FPS, exactly, go where the £££ is, so i dont blame them.

Combat simulation? what? what games does this involve?
FPS is a very popular genre, and has many very good games already, PC gaming isn't doomed because one game you were looking forward to isn't what you hoped it to be.

In fact quite the opposite, PC gaming is massive and FPS's are popular, so are RPG's, MMO's, Strategy among many other popular genre's.

Where does that leave us though.

It leaves us about the same as yesterday, and probably about the same as tomorrow.

There are thousands of very good PC games, and probably just as many good games to come, there are also as many bad games.

Would if you were waiting for a good film to come out, only for it to be awful, would you then think that the film industry is in a state and only making films of a certain genre for money?

Get a grip.

Well i hope not as bad as most might think. We are seeing a lot of really good games coming from small developers concentrating on niche genres and that is only a good thing.
But as far as big budget titles... I finally give up.. I am waiting to see what COD MWF2 comes of then i am never pre ordering a PC game again but instead downloading a 'demo version' and then, if it lives up to my expectations buy the real deal.

Opinions Pease!!

We see a lot of games from big, little and indie developers. We see an equal (maybe more) number of bad games.

Give up? please don't give up on PC gaming because of one bad experience of a single game.

Next time, just take the time to think.

I agree, that most games should bring a demo out to give people a taste of their game.
They can however, continue to market the game as being amazing, without a demo and wait for foolish people to buy it without hesitation, instead of waiting for a review.

Soldato
I really don't think PC gaming is in any sort of "sorry state".

Every so often in a given timeframe, we get a glut of rubbish PC games. Then - Along comes an absolute classic that everyone heaps praise upon.

This happens in cycles. The fact that a few recent releases ( albeit some of them overhyped ) haven't come up to scratch is a something that should not concern any PC gamer.

Give it a wee while and there will be a thread on here for a forthcoming PC game that is praised to the high heavens.

Horses for courses and all that. :cool:

Soldato
And to all those folk saying the like of 'Seen this before move on' why not have a bit of respect for new forum members and let them say what ever they want. If you dont see the point in replying to and contining a thread then dont reply to it, and it will sink in the list and die if its not that relavant. Unlike this one!
Sorry for that but feel a bit offended by folk that have thousands of posts telling me with 11 posts that my thoughts are irrelevant.

No you carry on making threads it would get mighty boring if we just used the same old threads that get bigger and bigger

Associate
OP
Yeah it may get boring for persons who post 1000's of replys and have been on here of month / years, but for the new folk maybe not that boring as there have been some contructive replies other than nit picking and critisicium.
I have only expressed my view of the latest big releases of PC gaming from my point of view.
But having recieved the response that i have im off to find
newforumuserswelcome.com! Talk about hung up!
What a repsonse!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom