Does the car you drive affect other drivers' attitudes towards you?

Soldato
Yup, without question. It's not so much about junctions or being cut up, but driving something proper quick tends to get people out of the way on motorways more. I NEVER tailgate people, never have and never will but I do close on cars quickly then leave a gap and that does tend to get most people to move over. It's not agressive or intimidating more of a "jesus where did that come from" and tends to work well. You can tell the difference as people will indicate into the middle lane rather than simply pulling back in. You will of course always get the mirror avoiders and pig heads but such is life.

Not as bad as the annoying *** ***** ****donkey****** in front of me in a new A3 this evening. Sitting in the outside lane at 60 with nothing on the inside, I came up behind them and they planted it and shot off at 90+.... then slowed down again, they then repeated this over and over again

Soldato
I say yes also. If I'm driving a beetle everyone lets me out and it's a lovely little motoring world. Otherwise it just gets worse I think, in correlation with purchase price and sporting appearance.

Associate
I can't say it's changes with what car I'm in. Though I've had a BMW 318 try and race me which was amusing. BMW 318 owners seem to think they own Ferraris for some reason.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Oldsmobile....Bentley....XJ8.............Seicento? :eek:

Doesn't even take a minute to adjust between them. Gotten pretty used to the Bentley's little quirks, the Jag pretty much drives itself, the Olds was much the same as the Bentley only the wheel was on the other side of the car and it was more comfortable. And I've driven the Seicento for so long now that I can jump straight back to it and instantly be back in 'small car' mode :)

JRS

JRS

Soldato
It just seemed like a bizarre combination of cars to be mentioned in the same sentence :)

Yeah....the 'cento is a lot more reliable than the Bentley or Jag. The Bentley likes to flatten its battery for fun (leading to the comical sight of a Mulsanne S being jump-started by a Seicento, a car so small it could probably fit in the Bentley's boot!), and the Jag can't handle being started up and shut down within minutes unless you're prepared to engage in a convoluted recovery process to get the engine refired again. At least his Granada is a good workhorse.

I miss my Olds :(

Soldato
Yeah, in my learner car people used to hate me, aggressive overtaking, not giving me space when I ask for it, cutting me up, even hooligan types of persons giving fake indication luring me out to go ahead while they just want to annoy me, or 16 year olds going on my side of the road from the opposite direction to annoy me, people giving me the finger when I have the right of way and don't give them the right of way, etc: I've seen it all.

In the Volvo, people often flash me as in ''go ahead, I'll brake for you'' when I need to turn left ( think of turning right in the UK) and I have to wait but they allow me to turn left... Or people always wave ''thank you'' if I let them cross/brake for them.

Funnily though, any 18-20 year old that sees that I'm driving though, is surprised that this little kid that looks like 12-14 drives a Volvo station wagon, and then starts revving his engine, wanting to race me from the light, being the little kid I am I always accept the challenge and we both take off with smoke :D.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Absolutely. Since buying the Golf Kate finds people generally pull out in front of her at roundabouts and junctions in almost desperate attempts to not get "stuck" behind an old car. Which makes it all the more amusing when she overtakes them round the outside of a roundabout half a mile down the road.

Soldato
Absolutely. Since buying the Golf Kate finds people generally pull out in front of her at roundabouts and junctions in almost desperate attempts to not get "stuck" behind an old car. Which makes it all the more amusing when she overtakes them round the outside of a roundabout half a mile down the road.

Sounds familiar,

That'll be a mk2 then? ;)

Soldato

Never noticed this, tbh sounds silly, I'd rather be stuck behind a 20-30 year old quickish car than a brand new slow eurobox like an Aygo or Matiz or Agila or Alto or whatever other slow city box with an engine that is way too small for any car...

Last edited:
Soldato
Huge difference.

Micra = people are nice, let me into gaps, out of junctions, don't try to race me. I can cut into gaps and they don't seem to mind so much. Guess the cheeky shape of the car disarms them.

BMW = complete opposite. most people on the road want to 'compete' with me. always have their foot down at the lights, don't let you into gaps in slow moving traffic etc

Associate
Yes, definitely.

The Mondeo I had attracted little attention, other than the odd knowledgeable motorist who could tell I had a V6.

My current car, a Civic Type-R, attracts FAR much more attention - tis fun to hit VTEC and watch whatever it is go backwards though :D

Soldato
I haven't really found any difference at all.

I went from a 1.8 Focus to BMW 335i a few months back and was worried at the time that I may be perceived differently on the roads, but it hasn't materialised at all.

People still let me out of junctions etc. as much as they did with the Focus, haven't had any issues with people trying to race me either.

Man of Honour
I've never noticed it. I've had people swerve in front of me to try to stop me overtaking them, but I'm pretty certain that they'd do it no matter what I drive. Some people pull over when I come haring up behind them, others dawdle along oblivious - again, I suspect it's just down to the personality (and in some cases I use the term loosely) of the drivers. If someone is challenging me to a traffic-light GP then I probably wouldn't hear their engine over mine anyway.

No, I'd say some drivers are ****s and some are decent, and they will be that way no matter what you drive.

M

Back
Top Bottom