ASUS MAXIMUS III Formula Review

Caporegime
i,m looking forward to getting this board with the oc controller for me new build in a few weeks,getting itchy fingers now on the buy it now,just wish nvidia would releease the gtx300 soon thats all i,m waiting on is a date..;)

Look forward to seeing your new system in the new year then ;)

Associate
Pers; I managed to fix that last night so just incase anyone else has the same problem here is the fix. The via driver on the Asus site (version 6) doesn't allow spdif sound. If you get the version 7 driver via Viatech's site it works!

Any direct link on this? cheers:D

Last edited:
Associate
lol yer well i can hope:)but i just stick in the gtx285 till it comes out,i can,t wait that long cod 6 is out real soon ;)

I think You'll be running the same system as me!!

Asus Maximus III
i7 860
Geil Ultra Ram 4GB
GTX 285

Hopefully, I'll be getting my H50 cooler soon as well!

Soldato
spi1m5100MHz.jpg

Great review and great clocks Paul.

Got a question though, why do you think that 1m Pi run is as slow as that, given the cpu and ram speed are as fast as they are ? I know the O/S is untweaked, but i would have thought it should be at least sub 8s.

Associate
OP
Great review and great clocks Paul.

Got a question though, why do you think that 1m Pi run is as slow as that, given the cpu and ram speed are as fast as they are ? I know the O/S is untweaked, but i would have thought it should be at least sub 8s.

It is slow due to the striped O/S i had on it at the time, XP light is no good for anything outher than loading load and boot fast, also the ram was quite slow as it can easy do 2300 cas8

You will see by my 32m run this is a full xp sp3 run that has been tweaked.
superpi32M7M13141s.jpg

Associate
OP
Heads up for extreme overclockers using the ASUS Maximus III Formula with the Clarksdale CPU's.

There seems to be some incompatibility in the TurboV software when overclocking, when pushing Blcock the system will lock and change registers for VTT, PLL, and Dram.
Am not sure if this problem is apparent for normal usage/air or water overclocking, but for extreme use please note that you could run into problems with your CPU's when using the turboV software to raise the Bclock.

See picture below that clearly shows the registers changed from a setting of 1.35VTT and 1.7VPLL to 1.1VTT and 2.5PLL, when pushing Bclock, which will without any doubt will have a detrimental effect on your CPU.

DSC01153.jpg

I have been told that ASUS are working on a fix for this problem but in the mean time please be aware that using the old TurboV software could be detrimental to your CPU when pushing Bclock.

Back
Top Bottom