• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU is a LOT slower today, why?

jb7

jb7

Associate
I have a sapphire 4870x2 which I purchased a few months ago, overall performance has been great. Today I moved my case to another room, and then decided to play resident evil 5. Normally I get 60 fps, it runs completely smooth, but today I noticed it was choppy - according to fraps it was 20 fps. I updated the drivers to the latest 8.65.0.0, but performance is still slow. Note that this was in dx9 mode, dx10 mode has always been slow for resident evil 5 with ati cards

Trouble is I don't know if this was a direct result of me moving the case, because I haven't played any games for several days. I've tried opening the case and pushing the card back in, but this makes no difference. What do you think the problem is? Is there any way I can test whether the performance is still at optimal levels.

specs:

i7 920 @ 3.6ghz
6gb ddr3 @ 1443mhz
Asus p6t deluxe v2 board
windows 7 x64 7600

thanks

edit: I managed to find my copy of 3dmarkvantage. I unticked the cpu tests and ran the program, below are my results and settings used

http://i34.tinypic.com/2lv1f87.jpg

hmmm somethings not quite right there, that score is REALLY low!

jb7

jb7

Associate
OP
reseated and ran again, these were my results as well as the min and max stats from gpu-z

http://i37.tinypic.com/9ayaee.jpg

is that score ok or still too low? (never ran this before) - or maybe the settings I'm using for 3dmark vantage, linked to my first post, are too high?

Soldato
Make sure Crossfire is enabled (catalyst AI is on)

about 7000 is far too low a GPU score for a 4870X2, that score is more like what you'd get with a slightly underclocked 4870 on a core2 duo system.

Were you running on performance (default) settings.

Edit: Ah, you're pretty much running Extreme settings, in that case it looks fine.

Your performance GPU score should be about 12-15k (we tend to use GPU score/performance mode) as a general card comparison these days.

D13

D13

Associate
so you literally unplugged your pc moved it into another room with NO hardware or software changes and it is now performing slower?

thats pretty weird, maybe the monitor is plugged into different dvi socket?

jb7

jb7

Associate
OP
Make sure Crossfire is enabled (catalyst AI is on)

about 7000 is far too low a GPU score for a 4870X2, that score is more like what you'd get with a slightly underclocked 4870 on a core2 duo system.

Were you running on performance (default) settings.

Edit: Ah, you're pretty much running Extreme settings, in that case it looks fine.

Your performance GPU score should be about 12-15k (we tend to use GPU score/performance mode) as a general card comparison these days.

Thanks for the suggestion, the GPU score i got on performance was 14720, i'm guessing this is normal?

Back
Top Bottom