Mondeo - No headlights, just sidelights?

Caporegime
W Reg Mondeo Mk2 Ghia, as title, only sidelights work , not headlights.

I'm guessing its a fuse / relay deal?

And whilst I trott off to Google to see what I can dig up, I thought I'd throw this bone to the OC/UK collective.....

Cheers. :)

Associate
W Reg Mondeo Mk2 Ghia, as title, only sidelights work , not headlights.

I'm guessing its a fuse / relay deal?

And whilst I trott off to Google to see what I can dig up, I thought I'd throw this bone to the OC/UK collective.....

Cheers. :)

With respect, you don't listen to good advice given anyway and I know that from repeated first hand experience. Frankly I'm not suprized no one has replied. You know perfectly well it'll be a relay or switch.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Most likely just the fuse but that would tend to affect one side or the other (if I remember rightly) not both.
Check the dim dip relay in the fusebox under the bonnet isn't corroded, from memory it is green and I'm sure I had a lighting issue caused by a problem with the dim dip.

Caporegime
OP
No headlights on either dip or main?

Most likely just the fuse but that would tend to affect one side or the other (if I remember rightly) not both.
Check the dim dip relay in the fusebox under the bonnet isn't corroded, from memory it is green and I'm sure I had a lighting issue caused by a problem with the dim dip.
I don't recall seeing a green relay. The headlight relay (in the fusebox under the bonnet referring to the manual's guide) is brown rather than green.

Main beam works fine when you flash the lights as such.

I have changed the relays, checked the fuses and even sourced a replacement headlight switch and tried that.

No joy alas.

The car still has sidelights but no headlights. :(

?

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you got a multimeter? Think you're going to need to start testing continuity and voltage through the whole system.

Sure the bulbs are ok? I've had blown bulbs that look OK but didnt work

Caporegime
OP
Have you got a multimeter? Think you're going to need to start testing continuity and voltage through the whole system.

Sure the bulbs are ok? I've had blown bulbs that look OK but didnt work

No multimeter unfortunately, I've done the basics I can think of, anything else is going to get put into the hands of an auto electrician tbh.

The bulbs don't seem to be the problem either, I swapped one of them with no change.

I was hoping that there's a common fault that somebody could point me toward but googling seems to not point out anything too obvious.

Soldato
Depends how confident you are - if it was me I'd spend a tenner on a multimeter in case it's just a loose connection or something

Caporegime
OP
Depends how confident you are - if it was me I'd spend a tenner on a multimeter in case it's just a loose connection or something

I'm no sparky alas. The cars not mine and the owner is going to get it looked at tomorrow by a friend who is in the trade.

I was just trying to sort the problem assuming it was something simple......

Ho Hum!

Associate
My mondeo mk2 will only put the headlights on if the ignition is on when you get the lights on the dashboard. Only the sidelights will come on otherwise if the nob is in the headlight position with the ignition off. So it could be something to do with the relay or whatever that controls that.

Caporegime
OP
Despite me swapping one of the bulbs over, it turns out that both front bulbs had blown!

I tried my spare in my BMW earlier (having tried the same bulb in the Mondeo) and it worked! :confused:

Oh well, at least its sorted.

Back
Top Bottom