• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Really out of the loop with graphic cards...

V F

V F

Soldato
I have a Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe with two x1950xtx's in use since Christmas 06. Powered by an Enermax Liberty 620 watt?... I'm not sure what PCI-E version the board is, if it's 1.0 or 1.1. I think I read a year or so back PCI-E 2.0 is backwards compatible... now I see 2.1 with the new GeForce cards? is that backwards compatible as well?... All it tells me of this board is "2 x PCIe x16 slot with CrossFire support at full x16, x16 mode"

These x1950's sure heat up the room. If anything I'd say it was on par with my PS3 kicking out the amount of heat in the room.

What would my upgrade options be for really fast cards in the near future... I hope I wont require a new motherboard. I mainly play rFactor with many plugin add-on's and ENB series tweaks for motion blur, HDR etc on a 1080 HDTV at 6x - 8x AA under Vista SP2 32bit. I want good performance whenever rFactor 2 is released.

Who has the best picture quality these days... and drivers... The last I remember ATI was pretty good up until and after AMD took over then started to seriously lack. If I remember correctly the last supported driver ATI made for 1x series and such was 9.3 and discontinued thereon after, that I've been on since they were released.

Any advice...

Soldato
ATI are best bang for the buck at the mo in the performance segment with the 5850, if you want the fastest single GPU card then it's the 5870. If you want the current fastest single card with multi GPU then it's the GTX295.

Caporegime
ATI are best bang for the buck at the mo in the performance segment with the 5850, if you want the fastest single GPU card then it's the 5870. If you want the current fastest single card with multi GPU then it's the GTX295.

Two 5850's > GTX295 and the difference is like 60 in price, in favour of the GTX295.

Or crossfire two 4890's > GTX295 and only around 260.

Soldato
I would just either a 5850 or 5870 for now and not buy a second card at the moment. As you're on a 939 system, you're just not going to get the best out of 2 new cards with your current CPU. You can always add a 2nd card at a later date once once you've upgraded your entire system and the price of the cards may come down by then also.

Back
Top Bottom