SSD Optimal Settngs, Windows 7

Associate
OP
Well thats not for Windows 7, as some of the options in that guide arent the same. I look over it though

EDIT: These are the settings ive chnaged:

Disable indexing
Description: Indexing creates and maintains a database of file attributes. This can lead to multiple small writes when creating/deleting/modifying files. Searching for files will still work.
Instructions: Start Menu -> Right-Click Computer -> Manage -> Services and Applications -> Services - > Right-Click Windows Search -> Startup type: Disabled -> OK

Disable defragmentation
Description: Defragmenting a hard disk's used space is only useful on mechanical disks with multi-millisecond latencies. Free-space defragmentation may be useful to SSDs, but this feature is not available in the default Windows Defragmenter.
Instructions: Start Menu -> Right-Click Computer -> Manage -> Services and Applications -> Services - > Right-Click Disk Defragmenter -> Startup type: Disabled -> OK

Disable Write Caching FOR SOME REASON MY OCZ AGILITY WONT LET ME DISABLE THIS
Description: There is no cache on the SSD, so there are no benefits to write caching. There are conflicting reports on whether this gains speed or not.
Instructions: Start Menu -> Right-Click Computer -> Manage -> Device Manager -> Disk drives -> Right-Click STEC PATA -> Properties -> Policies Tab -> Uncheck Enable write caching -> OK

Move PageFile
Description: Moving the page file to a separate drive, you can increase overall performance
Instructions: Start Menu -> Right-Click Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings (Left Panel) -> Advanced Tab -> Virtual Memory, select 'Change' -> Uncheck Automatically Manage Paging File Size for All Drives -> Select the different physical drive that you want your paging file to now be stored on and select System managed size and press 'Set' -> Select the drive that originally contained your paging file, select the Custom Size option, set the original and maximum size to '1000', and press 'Set'

Anything ive missed????

Last edited:
Associate
With Windows 7, whats options/settings are recommended to change to get the SSD drive running at optimal performance?

None really. Windows 7 does the main tweaks during setup;

> Drive alignment
> Disable Superfetch on the SSD (service may still run for any other HDs)
> Disable Defrag on the SSD (will still be available for any other HDs)

After that I wouldn't really bother doing much else. You can also turn off indexing as the speed of the drive will negate any benefits.

I wouldn't move the pagefile, SSDs excel at handling this file.

Finally, I would not worry about unnecessary writes to the drive - by the time the warranty is up and you have worn them out the drive will be ancient and practically worthless/useless compared to what will be around at the time.

So don't be over precious about saving writing to them - just use them like a normal HD.

Read the sticky at the top of the forum - there should be a link to a Windows7 blog in there, and that gives you a really good description of what Windows7 does to manage SSDs. A long but very useful read.

Associate
Anything ive missed????
Move your browser cache's to a different (ie normal) hard drive perhaps? As these cache's are read/write intensive, it makes sense to move them to cut down on wear on your SSD.

Something no one has mentioned when it comes to Windows 7 and SSD's is that, by default, Windows Live Mail compacts your email database after X amount of time, so it's a good idea to turn this feature off.

Just my 2 cents :)

Soldato
Move your browser cache's to a different (ie normal) hard drive perhaps? As these cache's are read/write intensive, it makes sense to move them to cut down on wear on your SSD.

Something no one has mentioned when it comes to Windows 7 and SSD's is that, by default, Windows Live Mail compacts your email database after X amount of time, so it's a good idea to turn this feature off.

Just my 2 cents :)

:rolleyes: Yeah that's really going to make a difference.

The only thing that needs to be off is defragging.

Associate
Where can i find the option for this??
Open Live Mail and it's Tools > Options > Advanced > Maintenance. It's the option Compact the database on shutdown every "X amount" runs.

:rolleyes: Yeah that's really going to make a difference.

The only thing that needs to be off is defragging.
True, in the scheme of things it wont make much difference, but it shouldn't be running really as it basically defrags the database. And you said yourself that defrag shouldn't be running :p

Back
Top Bottom