BFI London Film Festival 2009

Soldato
Hey Guys!

Just wondering if anyone is coming along this year? I'm lucky enough to have got work experience for the whole two weeks :)

For those who forgot about it it's running from the 14th-29th October http://www.bfi.org.uk/lff/

Some festival highlights are

Bad Lieutenant- Port of Call, New Orleans (Nicholas Cage, Eva Mendes)
Trailer here, looks amazing! http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi440730137/
The Scouting Book For Boys (Directed by Tom Harper)
The White Stripes Under Great white Northern Lights (Music Doc)
Burning Down The House - The Story of CBGB (Music Doc)
Jubal (Western Classic directed by Delmer Daves)

Dear Lemon Lima
Three Days with the Family

Taking Woodstook (Film based on the Woodstock Festival)
Astro boy (Anime)
Fantastic Mr.Fox (Animation based on Rohl Dahl's novel)
44 Inch Chest ( Starring Ray Winstone)
Enter The Void
Feast of Villains

Air Doll (Based on Manga and an inflatable sex doll that develops a soul and falls in love)

Anyone going?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I just got back from BFI.

Today I got to see the press release of 44 inch chest. Let me tell you now. I'm 100% sure it uses the dreaded C word more than any film in history.

Tomorrow is the premier of Fantastic Mr Fox :)

Associate
I just got back from BFI.

Today I got to see the press release of 44 inch chest. Let me tell you now. I'm 100% sure it uses the dreaded C word more than any film in history.

Tomorrow is the premier of Fantastic Mr Fox :)

How is it compared to Sexy Beast? As I heard it was a kind of a sequel to it in some respects, or it has been compared to it by Ian McShane.

Soldato
OP
How is it compared to Sexy Beast? As I heard it was a kind of a sequel to it in some respects, or it has been compared to it by Ian McShane.

I shamefully haven't seen Sexy Beast.

Without ruining it I'll tell you there are very few locations, very few actors and it only lasted for 85 mins.

I was really disappointed tbh. The acting is excellent, the script is great (but ridiculous at times with the excessive swearing ) however the storyline / plot is a load of cack!

Wouldn't get more than 5/10 from me.

Pretty much the whole cast were executive producers so I'm guessing they all acted for very little cash. This and the use of very few locations must have kept the budget very low.

Associate
I think it's due out on December 4th here in the UK, so I'll still probably go and watch it.

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans looks quite good, although I will probably compare it too much to the original (and superb) Bad Lieutenant starring Harvey Keitel. But I'm still going to have to watch it, despite being based around an older film. Although Herzog has said that he has never seen or heard of the original/never heard of Abel Ferrara which I find a bit hard to believe.

Soldato
OP
I think it's due out on December 4th here in the UK, so I'll still probably go and watch it.

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans looks quite good, although I will probably compare it too much to the original (and superb) Bad Lieutenant starring Harvey Keitel.

BLNL has no relation to the original. Wernog Herzog didn't even know the film existed. Just happens to be a coincidence that the premise of the film is virtually identical. But yea, that's the film I'm really looking forward too!

44 Inch chest is definitely worth watching but hardly a film that will go down with the greats.

Edit- Damn your ninja edit! :)

I'm off to research more of the feature films on show!

Associate
I just hope Bad Lieutenant gets a UK release this year, so we don't have to wait another four or five months to see it. As it is scheduled for US release on November 20th.

Associate
I think Abel Ferrara is pretty underrated as a director though, he is one of my faves along with David Lynch, Stanley Kubrick, Lucio Fulci, Dario Argento and a few others.

Soldato
OP
So today I sorted out all the chocolates/ water / programmes at the odeon / empire at Leicester square and put them all on their seats. Saw all the celebs walk on the red carpet, went to see the premier of fantastic Mr.Fox and then helped out at the after party :D

What a day...

Back
Top Bottom