• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2x8800GTS 640MB In Sli = What single card solution?

Soldato
Hello gentle fun loving and all round one big happy family known as them "Graphics Card" section folk.

I am currently gaming at 1920x1200 resolution and I haven't yet come across a game I can't play with 2x8800GTS 640MB cards in SLi. Saying that I was just wondering what the current equivilent single card solution would be to provide similar performance?

Man of Honour
260GTX is probably faster in most cases than the 640Mb GTS in SLI - infact the 9800GTX+/250GTS would probably put up similiar performance in most games unless it was heavily hitting the pixel fillrate.

Soldato
Mirrors Edge? Batman?

Yeah because the effects add loads to the gameplay and they are earth shattering :rolleyes:

Please don't tell me your buying decision is going to be swayed by laughable Physics effects in Mirror's Edge (a game that will soon be given away in cereal boxes it is so cheap) and Batman (which is a decent game but the Physics add nothing)

Soldato
OP
Yeah because the effects add loads to the gameplay and they are earth shattering :rolleyes:

Please don't tell me your buying decision is going to be swayed by laughable Physics effects in Mirror's Edge (a game that will soon be given away in cereal boxes it is so cheap) and Batman (which is a decent game but the Physics add nothing)

Are you a AMD/ATI Marketing employee?

Soldato

The physx in batman is impressive and adds a bit more depth to it, playing without it makes some sections look bare.

DX11 around the corner and some games already penned in to use it, it could be worth a little wait if the cards are not struggling atm :)

Soldato
So you are are running a X800XL and just ordered a 5870? Thanks for your unbiased opinion. You don't need to justify your purchase to me my lad, just the credit card company.

Read again in his machines atm he has a gtx260, 8800gt, x800xl and soon to have a 5870. If you think phsyx really adds to your games then you really have to buy nvidia but tbh its not really gonna be used to much in the future unless it becomes apen to amd cards.

Associate

lol i'd agree
Go for a 5850 mate, if you've got the cash
it's about £30 more than a 275 but much better...and less power hungry (if you care about that) xD

Man of Honour
Theres a couple more triple A titles coming out that use physx atleast as much as batman - possibly more...

Personally I think it added nicely to the atmosphere in batman - even tho most of the effects used could have been done fairly well on a CPU only physics lib... except maybe some of the cloth workload in some sections.

The physics particles weren't used enough of or with complex enough simulation to even put much of a load on a CPU based simulation, the smoke while kinda cool - with better design could have been done ok on the CPU with lower number of particles and a better shader. Some of the debris effects might have slowed up the CPU rather especially on the scarecrow levels and again in some areas with lots of instances of the cloth effects wouldn't have run too well on CPU.

Back
Top Bottom