psu failure?

Associate
In the last two days my computer turned itself off twice and Im starting to think its the psu, When it does turn off their isnt a blue screen or an error code on restart.
I took a screen shot maybe you people can see if my psu is failing.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Those voltages look ok, within acceptable tolerances, especially when you allow for inaccuracy of the software in reporting them. Have you tried running system without an OC? It may be your OC has lost stability, this does happen over time as components degrade slightly etc. Try running without an OC and if it doesnt crash again thats probably the cause, youll have to then re OC it, probably with different settings or lower end result

Associate
OP
well down clocking as not done any thing, still turning off without a bluescreen or any kind of error.
does any bodie think i should buy a new psu? as Im limited on money at the moment :(

Soldato
Does it turn off when idle or when stressed?

If it's the psu failing to deliver its rated wattage, then running furmark full screen should consistently flatten it. The 8800gtx draws a lot of power relative to the rest of the computer. If it's turning off when idle, it suggests an unsteady overclock as much as anything else.

Associate
OP
it suggests an unsteady overclock as much as anything else.
its been running at default since it started turning off. :-/
idle and gaming, just about 20mins ago i've swaped out my main psu and replace with an old 1 for now. since now anything seems fine and i done a little stress test on cpu and ram.
ill leave computer on all night, ill post back if it does it again

Associate
I'm going through similar issues whereby my PC too has just started turning itself off-> http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18063444.
I was also leaning towards PSU in my case as mine was shutting down even when just browsing the web and I had run memtest and also eliminated overheating as cause.

But I followed the advise of johnerz "Try running a minimal system with no overclock so 1 memory stick, 1 hdd no dvd and no overclock on the 8800", running minimal setup and when I had just 1 mem stick and 1hdd attached system ran fine for 2days where before it was crashing 1-3 times a day. Added back my other stick of ram and within 10 minutes it shut down. So took out that stick, put back my hdd and dvd and it's been running fine now for over a day

Also worthwhile telling us what PSU you have

Associate
OP
hiper type-r 580w

my old psu is running my system fine, computer was on all night and in the morning.
i did a memtest no errors which im pleased, so my finger is pointing to the power supply.

Back
Top Bottom