Sleep/Hibernate. Long term Safety

Associate
Is it completely fine rather than turn the PC off to set it to Sleep/Hibernate??

What effect if i did this all the time would it have on, the components in the PC and actual power usage?? Does setting the PC to Sleep/Hibernate use anymore power??

Also whats the difference between Sleep & Hibernate?

RJC

RJC

Don
Sleep will save the data to ram and will loose the data if the power is turned off.

Hibernate saves the data to disc so the pc can be switched off and moved without loss of data, I use Hibernate on all my machines when shutting down for what ever reason.

RJC

RJC

Don
When you install latest drivers for gpu's, other components were a full reboot is required or windows updates which install during a shut down.

Associate
Sleep seems to have broken in Vista... whatever. I just shut it down, does anybody have any power consumption off/hibernate comparisons?

I use Vista & my comp goes sleepy-byes every night until it gets cold enough that my comp is my eternal heater for the winter! :D But over the entire summer it has been fine entering sleep & resuming as soon as a keyboard button is pressed or the mouse is moved. I don't know about power consumption figures, I've been curious about it before but assume that since all the fans shut down & the computer appears to be off it likely isn't using up lots of juice.

Is Hibernation better than shutting it down or something?

Sort of sounds like it, except for me Hibernation takes just as long to resume as booting up, so I figure it's either shut down or sleep, to which sleep only takes a few seconds to resume back into windows browsers with 50 tabs & all in force as it were. :)

Associate
OP
Ok i used Hibernate for the first time last night, and turn the system back on today, and its just as if your turning the PC on from a cold boot!!!, the only advantage is it saves the windows you had opened when you put the pc into hibernate, doesnt boot quicker or anything, to me putting the PC in hibernate is abit pointless, think ill use sleep mode from now on, least with that it turns back on where you left off, no POST screen etc!!! How do you turn off wake up via mouse or keyboard?? is it in the BIOS settings?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I always use S3 sleep. To all intents and purposes the machine is off, the only thing still powered up is the ram. But within seconds of hitting the power switch it is back up and running :)

Back
Top Bottom