Vodafone £5 data bundle

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Quick question hopefully, i am thinking about taking out a vodafone sim only contract. I will be needing data.

They offer a value 500mb pack for £5/month, but it says this:

"You can’t use data services like making calls over the internet or sharing data files over the internet with the Value and Flexi browsing packs. "

What does this mean they actually block in technical terms?

Other general comments about vodafone and their data coverage/plans appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Caporegime
VOIP and tethering i would imagine although not 110% certain on the sharing data files over the internet...unless they are talking about torrents etc but ive yet to see a torrent app for a mobile phone...

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
OP
There is no way that they can "block" tethering :confused: ...............is there?

I cant see how that would be technically possible?

Wondering what people's experiences are with it really in terms of blocked ports?

Caporegime
There is no way that they can "block" tethering :confused: ...............is there?

I cant see how that would be technically possible?

Wondering what people's experiences are with it really in terms of blocked ports?

They can if they want to...i imagine most dont care but from what i have heard is that if your downloading stuff at a stupid amount then they will have an issue with that.

They obviously have the tools to do this...they can limit your speed if they choose to...ive heard of people having their speeds cut right down and one guy who had his data package cancelled as he was tethering far too much...i mean almost 10gb a week is kinda stupid dont you think??..i tether my Bold now and again but i dont download anything stupidly large.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
OP
They can limit speed and cut you off/throttle you if you exceed fair usage allowance - thats totally fair enough.

There is no way for them to "block" tethering though as far as i can tell?

Soldato
On this package? Have you ever noticed what is blocked exactly?

Nothing is blocked as far I know but I only use it for simple browsing.

If you are thinking of leathering the connection for downloads etc then I'd look elsewhere fella.

Nothing other than a fixed line solution should even be considered if you plan on any type of heavy usage.

I cant see any problem if you just plan on checking a few mails and logging on to forums etc which is what I do.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
OP
Thats exactly what its for, i just want to make sure that it will work. My usage is purely exchange mail via push on the move (iphone) along with the odd bit of quick referencing and google maps etc.

Tethering i only use very occasionally, but i definitely need it to work, and wanted to make sure nothing is blocked particularly.

I also have skype installed which does get used occasionally.

Soldato
Thats exactly what its for, i just want to make sure that it will work. My usage is purely exchange mail via push on the move (iphone) along with the odd bit of quick referencing and google maps etc.

Tethering i only use very occasionally, but i definitely need it to work, and wanted to make sure nothing is blocked particularly.

I also have skype installed which does get used occasionally.

Skype might be a bit dodgy but I cant see a problem with the rest.

In terms of blocking though they can block your access to 3g which wouldn't stop you tethering but it would obviously be running GPRS speeds.

Associate
Quick question hopefully, i am thinking about taking out a vodafone sim only contract. I will be needing data.

"You can’t use data services like making calls over the internet or sharing data files over the internet with the Value and Flexi browsing packs. "

Other general comments about vodafone and their data coverage/plans appreciated.

Instead of making another thread, I would like to hijack this one and ask about what sort of monthly fees should one been expected out of Vodafone when it comes to sim-only deals? What Im interested in is a minimum of 200 min and Internet as Im looking to purchase a handset now and my current Vodafone contract expires in about 7 months. The website says shows the semi-decent deals being around 15 pounds per month which,as far as I can see, does not include the Internet so that seems to make it quite pricey. Is there a room for it to be lowered through some negotiations maybe?

Caporegime
Instead of making another thread, I would like to hijack this one and ask about what sort of monthly fees should one been expected out of Vodafone when it comes to sim-only deals? What Im interested in is a minimum of 200 min and Internet as Im looking to purchase a handset now and my current Vodafone contract expires in about 7 months. The website says shows the semi-decent deals being around 15 pounds per month which,as far as I can see, does not include the Internet so that seems to make it quite pricey. Is there a room for it to be lowered through some negotiations maybe?

Ring them and find out??...the worst they can say is no.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
OP

Probably doesnt work out for such a low usage amount? The deals are very attractive when you get uop to normal levels. (£20 for the 900min/unlimited text deal, then £5 internet).

Associate
Ring them and find out??...the worst they can say is no.

I rung them and they pretty much quoted me similar montly fees as in the website. Since Im in the middle of my contract, there wasnt much room for negotiation in order to see if it could be dropped.

Probably doesnt work out for such a low usage amount? The deals are very attractive when you get uop to normal levels. (£20 for the 900min/unlimited text deal, then £5 internet).

That seems to be the case. The phone Im looking to get is currently around 420 pounds and any sim-only deal over 15 pounds per month would make it more expensive(or at least about the same) as what its been offered by operators.

Permabanned

Hi Jez,

The reason that we do not allow data sharing and VOIP calling on our £5 internet packages is that a small number of users on our network are responsible for using large volumes of data, as you can imagine this can impact the service that we offer. Therefore, data sharing and VOIP (Both use huge amounts of data) are not included within your data bundle.

If you will only be using your phone for standard usage. (I.E email, downloading apps etc.) Then you have no need to worry, if you exceed your allowance occasionally you will not be charged.

I trust this has helped.

All the best,

Espi
Web Relations Team
Vodafone UK

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
OP
Ah, thanks for the confirmation :)

I changed over to the package and all seems well. HSDPA seems fast and reliable. Only gripe is that there appears to be NO network coverage at all near J5 of the M40 (Stokenchurch)! :(

Back
Top Bottom