Paypal question ( Check if I am getting scammed )

Soldato
Guys

As a newish user to payapl if someone wants to send me some money via my paypal address can they scam me and obtain any funds back from me ?

This is not being done via e-bay .

Cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Someone has offered to pay me for a phone from outside the UK via paypal , I am very cautious as they are asking me to send it to Africa.

If I give then my paypal and ask then to send the money before I send it then am i OK or can they scam me ? This is not going through Ebay they are going to have to trust me .

Associate
well they can chargeback the amount... but could do that at any time.....

there was a scam where they would collect an item but pay with paypal then charge back, and you would have no proof that you sent it, so would be out of pocket twice...

bullit

Soldato
well they can chargeback the amount... but could do that at any time.....

there was a scam where they would collect an item but pay with paypal then charge back, and you would have no proof that you sent it, so would be out of pocket twice...

bullit

Surely your only out of pocket once?

Associate
it explains it better on the paypal website far better than I could.

but heres a C&P

chargeback happens when a buyer asks their credit card issuer to reverse a completed transaction. Although a chargeback may appear similar to a PayPal buyer claim, it is in fact initiated outside of PayPal between the card holder and card issuer. As such, the outcome is ultimately decided by the credit card company and not by PayPal. Chargebacks are one of the unfortunate costs of doing business. Many sellers factor this cost into their business risk model.

Common reasons why a buyer might file a chargeback include:
The card holder is claiming unauthorised use of their credit card
The card holder is claiming they did not receive the item or the item received was different from the original description
If a chargeback occurs on a payment you receive, we’ll notify you by email and ask you to respond with information. We will then use the information you provide to determine if you are eligible for Seller Protection or dispute the chargeback with the credit card issuer on your behalf.

Back
Top Bottom