• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia partners discontinued GTX285 and GTX275

Caporegime
Several Nvidia partners have confirmed that they had to decide to cancel GTX 285 and GTX 275 based products, as availability was simply disastrous.

We still don’t now if this is Nvidia's strategy to keep the market hungry for Fermi or they simply didn't order enough wafers, but availability of GTX260, GTX275 and GTX285 was so bad that many decided to drop these products and wait for Fermi.

The lucky ones can sell Radeon HD 5870 and 5850, as they are selling good, but the 5870 is mainly on allocation and that doesn’t really help a lot.

The GT200 generation is slowly but surely running towards its retirement and if you want one, simply grab it while you still can, or get RV870 or Fermi when it comes out.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15919/1/

Soldato
Charlie was right then.

owenstopper.jpg

Associate
Charlie normally is right, but he tends to plump out the "facts" with a bunch off his own issues, this seems to put people off, haha in fact it seems to enrage a lot of people. When the story broke you only had to look at the stock of the cards in most stores to know something was up. It'll be interesting to see what cards the review sites compare the 5770 and 5750 to tomorrow, as half the nvidia line up just got canned they will no longer true competitors ?

Soldato
Can someone point me to an official Nvidia statement please?

I think even if it is true you'll be unlikely to find an Nvidia statement about it; they don't normally make public discontinuation notices, I suppose they think it'd be bad for the sales of the remaining parts (which would annoy retailers slightly). Also that it's the partners discontinuing their GTX200 lines, not Nvidia, although as far as us consumers are concerned it's more or less the same thing.

Associate
Partners are designing non-reference boards for teh 300s, at least the one i have a contact in is. They be busy testing pcbs and re-tooling lines.

Back
Top Bottom