PS3 Speakers

Associate
Hi,

I don't know if this has at all been discussed before. I'm looking to get some speakers for my PS3 system, however, I don't want to spent a fortune, and don't have the room for a full on 5.1 setup.

I was wondering, is it possible to get some decent 'standard' speakers such as Creative T20/T40's and use those?

Cheers,

Associate
Hi,

I don't know if this has at all been discussed before. I'm looking to get some speakers for my PS3 system, however, I don't want to spent a fortune, and don't have the room for a full on 5.1 setup.

I was wondering, is it possible to get some decent 'standard' speakers such as Creative T20/T40's and use those?

Cheers,

EDIT: At first I read you post as you wanted to achieve full 5.1. However you only want 2.1, which is easy as I pointed out. I'll leave my long reply in case anyone is wondering about 5.1.

It's much harder than you would think. Unless your speakers have an optical input, or your soundcard does. Been researching this massively recently.

Easiest is to make do with your tv/monitor speakers. And plug in your headphones if you wish. However, we all know those speakers suck big time.

Easy & cheap option is to make do with 2.1 sound using a rca sterio jack converter, and coupler. Plug component cable into one end, and speakers into the other.

Medium priced option but very decent, is buy a set of logitech z-5500's. ~£250 but great reviews. They have an optical input. So simply link up the ps3's optical input to these. I'd do this if I had the space.

Expensive option, but best. Buy a whole home ciniema set-up just connect via optical easy peasy.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
using those speakers is easily done, just get the rca adapter and 3.5mm coupler as mentioned.. should cost no more than <£5 ish

I think i'm on the right wavelength now, although I think i threw away the little coupler thing thinking i would never need it, is it possible to buy them individually - I'm guessing you can?

Ta,

Or alternatively, I could just buy another set of speakers simply for use with the PS3 and keep the current ones for hte PC? lol.

Soldato
yep, you can pick up the couplers individually for a few quid

if you want to share the speakers with both the pc/ps3, then you'll need a 3.5mm 1female to 2male splitter

41mvqykb4lsl500aa280.jpg

Associate
yep, you can pick up the couplers individually for a few quid

if you want to share the speakers with both the pc/ps3, then you'll need a 3.5mm 1female to 2male splitter

41mvqykb4lsl500aa280.jpg

James I have been searching like mad for one of those splitters (2 male). Where the heck do you get them from, all the ones I can find are 1 male 2 female, which would be ok if we were talking about my bedroom habits but not great for sharing the speakers.

Associate
OP
James I have been searching like mad for one of those splitters (2 male). Where the heck do you get them from, all the ones I can find are 1 male 2 female, which would be ok if we were talking about my bedroom habits but not great for sharing the speakers.

Lol.

Thanks guys for the info, i'll get meself an adapter thing-a-ma-jig and test the speakers I have now, if they work fine, i'll get a new pair for the PS3 alone.

Also, i've been looking at HDD's for the PS3 and am debating over a 320GB WD 'Blue' Edition or a 320GB Seagate drive. I've had bad experiences with WD in the past, but what would you recommend?

Ta,

Soldato

lol, due to forum rules.. i can't really mention :(

Also, i've been looking at HDD's for the PS3 and am debating over a 320GB WD 'Blue' Edition or a 320GB Seagate drive. I've had bad experiences with WD in the past, but what would you recommend?

Ta,

i've been using the 320gb wd blue edition in my ps3 slim since launch - no problems at all so far :)

Soldato
Not likely to find one for that low, to be honest, because you'd need one with optical input to get 5.1. LG do a decent looking set for £150 though, not sure if it has optical but it might be worth a look.

Edit: The Samsung HTZ220R has optical and can be had for about £130 I think.

Last edited:
Associate
James I just had another search for those splitters. Is there any way you could just email me the link? to soggyuk (AT) gmail.com obviously replace the AT with the usual symbol

EDIT:

FINALLY FOUND ONE!!! On the place that sells everything, most of it second hand ;) Can't believe I didn't look there first!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom