1992 BMW 316i.....should I?

Associate
My mate has a '92 BMW 316i which he got a few months back..
Now, it is in quite a state, aesthetically there are a few banged up pieces and scratches, and inside there are tears on the seats etc.
The clutch has also burnt out, although it still drives alright.

I've always wanted to buy a banged up car and work on it as a project to fix it up to the highest standards, and he would sell it to me for around 100 quid if I wanted it.
Is it worth buying at this price and just learning the ins and outs of a car by taking it apart and repairing it, or would it be too much work which would make it overpriced in the long run? (Also, insurance costs etc.)
I'm 18 too, going to take my 2nd test soon, so take that into account when answering my question:p
Thanks

Soldato
While it indeed sounds like a pile of crap ;) my humble opinion would be that a 316 (or in fact any BMW from that era at least) would be a terrible starter "fixer upper" car.

I only say this as my dad had a 325TD, exactly the same age, and while oc the 2.5 straight 6 diesel engine is going to be *nothing* like the 1.6 petrol in that car, the rest of the car was a nightmare to work on as well. We changed a few suspension components and some other bits and it was horrible to do. Probably less of an an issue if you have access to all the special BMW tools and a good workshop as well as a very good selection of high quality standard tools. Even servicing the damned thing was a nightmare...

For the standard DIY'er at home on their drive, not my idea of a good time... If you want a cheap car to do up yourself i'd go down the more normal route, start with something simple, fiestas, 106s etc.

Associate
OP
Really want a car at the mo, as both my parents have a Semi-Automatic and an Auto:rolleyes:
But I'm still in college, therefore I am quite broke, and can only afford something for a few hundred squid..

Any reccomendations on a car that can be had for a few hundred, that does need some work (I plan to work out how cars work by doin this), and is cheap on insurance?

Back
Top Bottom