Brand new i5 bundle overclocking gone haywire

Associate
Bundle : http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-010-OB

Other specs :
Palit GeForce GTS 250 1024MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Corsair TX 650W ATX SLi Compliant Power Supply
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 160GB SATA-II 8MB Cache
Sony Optiarc AD-7241S 24x DVD±RW SATA Lightscribe Optical Drive

Symptoms : OCuK overclocking tweaks giving all kind of instability results. These include the following ;

1. POST is taking about thirty seconds to complete, if it is completed at all as it sometimes it resets itself automatically.

2. If POST succeeds either

a) it prompts an overclocking error!
or

b) it detetects my HDD and DVD-Rom but doesn't boot from either of these. (it just stays put on a blank screen with a blinking cursor on the top left corner)

or
c) it starts to boot from DVD-rom but immediately freezes after a few seconds, in case i have to restart the system myself and the cycle is repeated again

Resolution up till now : Booted with default BIOS settings and everything went smooth but restoring OCuK BIOS profile would bring about the above symptoms once again

Would urgently request some guidance or any idea of what could have gone wrong thanks.

Associate
OP
I already contacted OCuK neilzomg, but of course they won't reply today as it is a Sunday. In the meantime i thought to gather some information on the forums.

hyperst all of the hardware is working properly and is correctly installed as the system works perfectly well now that i booted with default factory BIOS settings. I'll check the temps all the same, thanks for your suggestion

Soldato
the box for the cpu would've had a seal on it, just wondered weather it was sent in the box you see and if sealed with the sticker obviously it wouldnt have been run, but yours seems to have been

Associate
I have the same problem and also the overclock was around 3.6Ghz not the 4Ghz stated. Problems are constant CDD's screen lock-ups and also not detecting the Nvidia Graphics card (shows on start up in Bios but reverts to VGA). Waiting for a reply from Overclockers.

Soldato
the box for the cpu would've had a seal on it, just wondered weather it was sent in the box you see and if sealed with the sticker obviously it wouldnt have been run, but yours seems to have been
It always will be.

You can't get an overclocked system without the cpu having been installed in it. Otherwise you've not actually tested the overclock ON the cpu you're selling.

If someone sells you an overclocked system with a CPU still sealed you might find out that it doesn't like the overclock at all.

Soldato
It always will be.

You can't get an overclocked system without the cpu having been installed in it. Otherwise you've not actually tested the overclock ON the cpu you're selling.

If someone sells you an overclocked system with a CPU still sealed you might find out that it doesn't like the overclock at all.

thats what i was getting at, just trying to rule this possibility out, which, obviously has been checked to run overclocked.

Associate
Can you tell us your temps on your stock settings. I ask this as a couple of months ago i bought a pre-built system from overclockers (titan goliath) and the heatsink was installed by overclockers. when i first booted up i downloaded some software to measure the temps of the cpu and at idle all four cores where between 63 and 68 degrees Centigrade which is far too hot. i took off the heatsink and found that the thermal compound must have been trowelled on as there was far too much. i re applyed some mx-2 compound and straight away the temps had dropped down to around 42 to 47 at idle.

Associate
OP
Temps are around mid 30's using default and even with the overclocked tweak (as i managed to enter bios even though system didn't boot). I don't think it is a heatsink problem

Associate
lol, its worth a try if he can get into the bios and load the overclocked profile and get some settings written down or take a photo. my money is on the memory settings

Associate
OP
OCuk contacted me today and told me to put up the vcore by 2 notches. However i have no idea how to do this (have no idea of overclocking actually). Any help please?

Associate
Hi ea, sorry but i have never had a asus motherboard so i know nothing about the bios setup. You can have a try at going into the bios and looking on the Ai tweaker tab and see if you can raise the 'CPU core voltage' a couple of notches by using the page up key on your keyboard.

Associate
most caps are between 16 and 100v so very unlikely of blowing!
asus board use ai tweeker tab look for cpu core volt and useing the
+ and - or pg up/ pg down keys, raise or lower voltage.

Back
Top Bottom