• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5770 or 4890?

Associate
my birhtday is due soon and the missus wants to know what to get me so decided on one of these cards, but was wondering wich one is the better?

quick replies appreciated as i may get it later today.

cheers

Associate
the specs all seem to favour the 4890. The only reasons for 5770 seem to be:
- eyefinity, if you want to have three screens
- power consumption, 18w compared to 90w at idle
- Blu Ray sound, the 5xxx series do Dolby truHD over HDMI if you have a compatible amp

Associate
OP
i was edging towars the 4890 so looks like its that one :)

not really botherd by eyefinity or blu ray sound so 5770 doesnt entise me enough

thanks for your help

Associate
I was in the same boat after sending my HD4870 Vapor-x back for refund. Even with the fan from vapor-x , it was still quite hot.

For lower idle, lower operating temp, DX11, better drivers to arrive soon. I went with the HD5770.

You can pick these up for a £110 on web.

Associate
Kfother, is it noticably quieter then? I've got my 4870 in an HTPC, and although I can run it ok, it chucks out so much heat into the case that everything else gets toasty after a while, and the case fans start getting noisy.

I thought about the Vapor-x, but I guess that doesn't reduce the heat produced by the card, it just gets it off the card into the case even quicker.

Associate
I was in the same boat after sending my HD4870 Vapor-x back for refund. Even with the fan from vapor-x , it was still quite hot.

For lower idle, lower operating temp, DX11, better drivers to arrive soon. I went with the HD5770.

You can pick these up for a £110 on web.

Weird. I have the 4890 Vapor X and it's cool and quiet. You must have been unlucky.

Associate
Tindale, It`s very quiet.

Not sure if there is difference between the HD4890 & the HD4870 Vapor-X. I just know the HD4870 i had was throwing out a lot of heat.. it looked okay on GPU-Z (61 av), but my room was notibly hotter when using it for 3 hours at a time.

That`s one of the reasons i returned it. It could have been a bad one.. but the fan never seemed loud. It was very quiet.. just threw out a lot of heat.

Associate
thanks Kfother. Your account sounds like what I'd expect, ie the card stays nice and quite, but your room gets nice and warm! I can certainly tell when my PC has been on in the Lounge for a few hours, although at least now summer has gone its a benefit not a problem.

Associate
Tindale, kfother.

The 48xx series do run hotter than the 5xxx series. However they are also faster. The vapor X is a non standard shrouded cooler that vents the heat OUTSIDE the case.

As for it heating up your room, that is more likely the system as a whole. The loaded energy consumption of the 5770 (165w) is very close to the 48xx (230w) so you would not see much difference between the two when playing.

Soldato
Tindale, kfother.

The 48xx series do run hotter than the 5xxx series. However they are also faster. The vapor X is a non standard shrouded cooler that vents the heat OUTSIDE the case.

As for it heating up your room, that is more likely the system as a whole. The loaded energy consumption of the 5770 (165w) is very close to the 48xx (230w) so you would not see much difference between the two when playing.

You call 165w-230w close.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks Phage. My current concern though is power at idle, as I've got an HTPC which spends several hours a day working at a freeview box, MP3 player, DVD library or BluRay, and the power consumption differance is something like 18w to 90w. I guess this must mean that the heat output differance is similar.

But yeah, under load I'm sure they're both going to heat the house nicely

Soldato
The 48xx series do run hotter than the 5xxx series. However they are also faster.
No they aren't. 4890 is quicker than a 5770/5750 but not the other 5 series cards.....
The vapor X is a non standard shrouded cooler that vents the heat OUTSIDE the case.
no it's not. It vents the heat into the case. One of the reasons I sold mine.
The loaded energy consumption of the 5770 (165w) is very close to the 48xx (230w) so you would not see much difference between the two when playing.
No, the loaded energy consumption is not close to a 48xx ...that's a difference of 65W which is quite significant.

Back
Top Bottom