Will there be a lash back against touch screen phones?

daz

daz

Soldato
Just been thinking about this. Touch screen phones are really good for a few tasks, but for others they can be incredibly tedious and battery life suffers against non-touch screen phones. Will touch screens get to the point where they're so good, we'll forget about using keys... or will people "serious" about email etc on their phone always use a phone with a keypad?
dunno.gif

Soldato
yeah and what happens when the touch screen stops working??

:confused:

What happens when a button stops working?
Same problem.

There will be both sides of the market. I have a Nokia 5800 and happily get 4-5 days battery life from it. Mostly its never used for calls, usually texts. I have larger hands than most and cannot use most button phones now since they have shrunk the buttons to get in a bigger screen, I cannot even use a blackberry. The buttons are way to small and far too close together.

Associate
Inherently buttons are more robust and simple, with touch screen you have a lot of things that can go wrong, software might have bugs in it and what if the screen gets cracked, more chance of that happening. I had a Sony Ericsson w960i and the touch screen was always intermittant, software/firmware problem.

Caporegime
I think we will move back slightly in the future, there are certain things that do need keys, however keypads as such I think will become less and less popular.

For example keys on the side of phones should increase (both the iPhone and the Touch HD don't have enough buttons on the side, only volume) if they are to be used as music/camera devices. At the moment it's really only volume keys that are there but after having various SE K*** phones going to a phone you have to take out of your pocket and press the screen to pause is a pain, same with taking photos by pressing the touch screen.

One positive I can see about touch screen phones is the fact you can make them weather/water proof much easier, due to the lack of buttons and only entry post being the battery cover. In the past typing on a weatherproof devices keypad was a pain, now with touch screens it won't be any different.

Caporegime
Associate
I think gestures are actually a bit of a phase, it's all very well gesturing but if your phone is in your pocket you can't really shake it to change songs/skip tracks etc. If it's sensitive enough to do that then it will skip while you walk...

LOL :D

Very good I like it, imagine what you would look like in the street

Soldato
Touch screen phones + qwerty keyboards is where it's at ;)

+3

What are my choice these days?

I basically want an iphone with a slide out keyboard, i have an MDA 2 but the screen is a bit small and it's quite bulky

EDIT - Looks like The HTC Touch Pro2 fits the bill

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a Sony Ericsson w960i and the touch screen was always intermittant, software/firmware problem.

Ahh the phone that put me off Sony Ericssons for life. What a crap phone, I remember my touch screen would just stop working and wherever you pressed on the screen it would register that you pressed the top right hand corner which happened to be task manager. Eventually, the phone would just start working normally. Very strange.

Will probably not get a SE phone for a long time, bought a Nokia 5800 (was really worried about how the touch screen was going to be) but this it has been a brilliant phone!

Back
Top Bottom