• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5770 or 4890?

Associate
I'm in the same boat, I saw the 5770... good on somethings, bad on others...

1Gb 5770 - £100 (if I pick it up from the states, not hard, I get my missus to buy it, she posts it through her work)
4870 1Gb - £103
4890 1Gb - £140...
5850 - £200...

They're all so tightly priced, and have their pros and cons. I just can't make up my mind. I only play WoW, watch HD rips and browse the net, I have no desire to play anything else apart from WoW and SF4 on my PC. I just don't know what's best for me :/

Associate
choices choices choices eh? Why can't life be simple.

I'm thinking that with most games in the next few years being designed for current consoles, the 5770 should have enough power for me, but a 5850 isn' THAT much more.....

Associate
If i was thinking 5850 prices.

I`d be heading toward Xfire 2 X5770 if my mboard supported it.

You can get 2 x HD5770`s for £220 now.

Or, buy one, and get another in the new year which likely (hopefully) will be cheaper..

That`s what i`ll be doing.

Soldato
The 5850 can be clocked to 5870 speeds that's something to remember, its pretty much the same card just clocked lower and being clocked up will give it the same shaders and some people are already getting decent speeds out of these cards.

Other option get a 5850 and wait until new year and throw another in when they cheaper then you got some serious speed.

Associate
No they aren't. 4890 is quicker than a 5770/5750 but not the other 5 series cards.....

no it's not. It vents the heat into the case. One of the reasons I sold mine.

No, the loaded energy consumption is not close to a 48xx ...that's a difference of 65W which is quite significant.

1) Oops one too many X's
2) Nope - you're still wrong. I still have mine and nearly all of the heat is vented outside. Quite a nice breeze from the vents on the backplate.
3) Agreed 65w is significant in terms of pc cards. But not in terms of heating a room.

Associate
If i was thinking 5850 prices.

I`d be heading toward Xfire 2 X5770 if my mboard supported it.

You can get 2 x HD5770`s for £220 now.

Or, buy one, and get another in the new year which likely (hopefully) will be cheaper..

That`s what i`ll be doing.

That is a good idea. I think I'll head down the 5770 route...

Associate
you are buying a pc component, who cares about 'in terms of heating a room'

Because that was the original post. He didn't like it becuase his room was too hot with the 4890, and was cooler with the 5-series. I don't believe he could tell the difference...

Soldato
1) Oops one too many X's
2) Nope - you're still wrong. I still have mine and nearly all of the heat is vented outside. Quite a nice breeze from the vents on the backplate.
3) Agreed 65w is significant in terms of pc cards. But not in terms of heating a room.

the vapor-x uses an axial style cooler which basically just chucks air in all directions....it does not direct hot air out the back in any way other than having a vent there.

Also if your case is under slight vacuum air will actually be flowing in from that vent.

Associate
I just decided to change my 4870 to a 5770 (mainly for heat and noise). I agreed a sale over in MM, just gone to buy the new card, and the £111 deal I found yesterday has all dried up, now they're as cheap here as anywhere (especially with free delivery).

So, well done OCUK, not so well done me for not ordering when I had the chance :(

Associate
To the guys who say they only do a bit of WoW and HD watching, isn't a 5770 overkill? Couldn't you go for the 5750 or even wait for the lower end?

Back
Top Bottom