Scared of my brand new motorbike

Permabanned
:(I took my CBT so now I am legally able to ride up to a 125cc motorbike.

I'd never before been on a motorbike. I found the whole day very, very nerve racking. The instructor kept telling me to calm down but it seemed to me like a very dangerous machine that I wasn't fully in control of. And a pretty quick way to get myself killed as I'd imagine if I take it out, I'll sit at a give-way, accidentally release the clutch or something and fly into the traffic.

Going 50mph on a motorbike when you don't REALLY know what you're doing is just no fun at all. It was just not my bag on the day -- I just kept thinking 'If I come off, I'm going to really, seriously, properly hurt myself'. The others on the course loved riding immediately despite having little control (which I don't really understand!).

I got home after telling my wife I'd passed on the phone (but not that I almost had 'special brown time' when riding it!) -- and she's - like 'SURPRISE' -- and there's a spanking new motorbike sitting on my driveway as an 'early christmas pressie'. Helmet. Clothes. She's spent £2500 on it all.

Now she keeps on asking me if I don't like the colour and what 'make' should she have bought and trying to get me to take it for a spin because I haven't even sat on the thing. I don't want to tell her the whole of the day learning to ride scared the living NO SWEARING out of me and I'm actually kind of scared of the thing on my driveway.

Any suggestions? I phoned the garage about taking it back and they sucked their teeth and said words like 'It's second hand now - we'll give you a grand for it' and 'We won't take a return on any of the clothing'.

If I actually pluck up the courage to go out on it do you think my confidence will actually pick up? Any bikers out there experienced anything like this? What would you do?

Soldato
if i was terrified of driving, i just wouldnt do it. you probably will really seriously properly hurt yourself if youre so nervous. nervous drivers on the road make bad drivers too

Soldato
its just nerves mate. the fact that your nervous will probably work hand in hand with developing in to a safer rider.

I have not passed a CBT but i have ridden dirt bikes round fields etc and at first they do seem VERY scary, however after a few hours i became more comfortable on the thing and actually started to really enjoy it.

Just stay alert and concentrate dont take risks and ride when the roads are clear and on roads you are familiar with and you will start to feel at ease

Associate
Jeez... err...

I'd give it a month. Find a nice quiet road that you know well, and take the bike out on it when you can. Hopefully you'll get your confidence up.

If you still hate riding it, or don't feel comfortable, then it's not your thing. Sell up and move on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't take this the wrong way :o

But, surely to have done the CBT test, you actualy want to ride a motorcycle? To be frightened of what might happen when you ride one strikes me as quite odd! Almost the sort of thing that a Motorbike hater would think.

I realy don't know what to suggest sorry!

When I did my CBT I loved the feel of being free on a bike, thinking about crashing comes into your head every now and then when you have a close call. But 99% of my time was thinking "Hell yeah.. this is ****ing awesome"

Soldato
Stick with it. Ride slowly and build confidence.

If after a few months you still don't like it, stick it up for sale and move on. No big deal and don't beat yourself about it. I never bothered with bikes for the same reason and doubt I ever will.

Soldato
Seriously...what bike is it? 125cc bikes are hardly rocket ships mate.
Do you not have somewhere quiet where you can go practice riding around? You'll be comfortable in no time you just need to calm down and take it nice and easy.

Out of interest how old are you and what do you drive?

Associate
Man up tbh. Riding a bike is easy for everyone, practice, practice, practice. Look at it this way, how many hours in a car do the average person have before passing the test. CBT is like a stop gap to get you on a low powered bike to practice.

What bike is it?

Soldato
Also i was a fairly nervous when i got my own car after passing my driving test. Even though i only got 2 minors (and one was a vehicle check question which i answered wrong due to nerves)

Just take it slow and at a pace that you feel comfortable with.

Soldato
I passed my CBT and bought a new bike a few weeks ago. At first I was nervous, but you'll find that confidence really does come with experience. If you go out thinking you're going to crash, you probably will.

Do you live in a quiet area? If so, try just taking it round the block, fairly slowly. Just get used to how it feels, how the clutch bites and how the throttle responds. Take your time when out on the road as well - don't feel pressured into doing something because other bikers are doing it. Occupy the road like you would in a car leaving plenty of space, and other drivers will on the whole respect that.

Hopefully, your confidence will gain and you'll start to appreciate the fastest way of getting from door-to-door anywhere :)

Associate
I had a motorbike when I was younger and felt exactly the same way about it to start with. After a few hours at my own pace rather at some instructors I was ok - you will get the hang of it!
You must have seen no end of stupid people on motorbikes over the years - if they can manage to get to work everyday without killing themselves it shouldn't be beyond soemone who sounds quite sensible!

Build up your confindence slowly - maybe head down to the local supermarket after its shut? Oh and wouldn't the garage legally have to offer you better return options than this under the sales of goods act?

Man of Honour
TBH sounds like you are scared of riding and I'm not sure practice is going to change that.

Either man up and tell the wife, or take it to a car park/industrial park at the weekend and see if it is just nerves or if it's a deep seated feeling.

Permabanned
OP
As someone asked -- I'm 36, currently drive a boring Mazda 6 but have had a Mercedes SLK, a few hot hatches, and a Nissan Z350.

Starting to come down on the side of the people saying 'Man up a bit'. Think this Saturday morning at 'everyone's in bed 'oclock' I'll just drive it round my local estate 5 times...

I'll be ******* a brick .. but maybe it'll just - I dunno - start to wear off after a while ...

The bike is a brand new Honda CBF 125. I bet you bikers are all p1ssing yourself now about me being scared of such a thing :\

Make sure you fully star (*) out any swear words.

Soldato
I passed my CBT on saturday 3rd october (my bday:D) and i have to say i enjoyed most of it. There were times i was pretty nervous like going around the roundabouts for the first time. But i felt very safe with my instructor and i enjoyed the experience.

Soldato
As someone asked -- I'm 36, currently drive a boring Mazda 6 but have had a Mercedes SLK, a few hot hatches, and a Nissan Z350.

Starting to come down on the side of the people saying 'Man up a bit'. Think this Saturday morning at 'everyone's in bed 'oclock' I'll just drive it round my local estate 5 times...

I'll be sh1tting a brick .. but maybe it'll just - I dunno - start to wear off after a while ...

The bike is a brand new Honda CBF 125. I bet you bikers are all p1ssing yourself now about me being scared of such a thing :\

Good luck man, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Associate
Well there is no way the power will have you off on a CBF 125, good little learner bikes. Man up take a cruise down to the countryside/sea side, get some practice and in 6 months time do the real test!

Soldato
50mph isn't scary! I've got close to that on a bicycle!

It's all about confidence. You need to get on your bike and ride, and ride and then ride some more. If you fall off get back on and ride some more.

Just be aware that most car drivers won't see you so plan ahead and always asume those infront or at side streets are going to do the most stupid thing and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom