• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Can someone quickly clear the LGA1156/1366 thing up for a noob i7 guy

Soldato
Basically I ordered an asus p55 mobo with dual channel ram and by accident I also ordered a i7 920, I meant to get a 860.

I realised my mistake when I opened everything and assumed a 1366 chip iwasn't going to fit/work on a p55 mobo and dual channel ram. So I phoned overclockers to see what my options were in sending it back. But they tell me this combo should work fine and they use it in the shop?

Is this right? I don;t want to open the cpu incase it doesnt fit and I need to send it back.

Associate
very confusing, i'd have to agree with your initial thoughts that a 1366 chip is not going to work in a 1156 socket.....

I'm also new to the world of i5 and i7 so hopefully someone else can clear it up for you but from what i've read the p55 is a new socket type so requires the lga1156 chips.

Edit- There we go Orange Peel seems to have cleared that up :)

Soldato
When u finally get through try and speak to the same person, and call them a complete muppet hahaha.

the guys here are right the cpu is not compatable with the mobo you have, and the support person u talked to should know that.

Good luck with getting it replaced, im sure they will if u get through to someone that knows anything.

Soldato
OP
Ok got through, they agreed to let me RMA the 1366, but now being told that the p55 mobo is i5 only??

Can someone just 100% tell me a 860 is fine in the Asus P7P55D before I order it. I was 100% sure this was ok before talking to tech support and still kind of am...just dont want to go through this ball ache again.

Thanks.

Associate
The 860 will work fine in the P7P55D boards.

i5 - i750 = Core i5 / 1156 Socket - No Hyperthreading, Lynnfield CPU.

i7 - i860 = Core i7 / 1156 Socket - Has Hyperthreading, Lynnfield CPU.

i7 - i870 = Core i7 / 1156 Socket - Has Hyperthreading, Lynnfield CPU.

i7 - 920 = Core i7 / 1366 Socket - Has Hyperthreading, Bloomfield CPU.

Hope that helps :)

Associate
Got to love intels naming system!! Classing them as i7 purely on whether they have hyper threading was such a bad move! Doing it according to what socket it uses would have made much more sense but Intel seem to have missed that point :p

But yea, get an 860, that will work fine on a P55 board :)

Associate
The naming system makes sense to me! The 750 and the 860 are equivalent, performance-wise, and so they are both classified as i7. The 750 is below the i7 chips, in terms of features/performance, and so it is classified as i5.

Soldato
Hang on a sec. Overclockers support system told you:

The asus P55 will work with the i7 920

Then, later told you that the asus P55 will only work with i5 processors

I make that one technical support guy who needs to get out of their store. If you took down their name (I would have), call up, get through to management and tell them that this mans ignorance cost you time and money, and you want the return shipping fee refunded as a result. At the least they'll tell him to learn something before selling hardware to people.

It's doing them a favour. Were I to get through to a fool on their support line, I'd be much less inclined to buy from them. /awaits ban :(

Soldato
OP
Yes, thats exactly right. Admittedly I made the mistake in the first instance, should have double checked my cart before hitting checkout. But the guy on the phone was absolutely adamant the 920 would work in the mobo I had bought.

I queried this for some time but he wouldnt have hit to the point he really had me questioning myself, that and the fact the phone call was starting to get a bit embarrassing I decided to end it and get backup from the forum :)

Still getting passed from pillar to post to get an RMA. After the second phone call after a RMA was agreed he told me he couldn't do it over the phone there and then so I would have to email, which I did, then got a reply saying I had to phone the RMA department on the number I had already called earler in the day and was told I couldn't get one???

To think I was praising ocuk last week on excellent customer service it comes to this.

Last edited:
Soldato
All depends on who you get through to :(

Good luck with it man. Hope you do report the fellow, or other people will be steered down the same road. It's a subtle point, but its one a hardware salesman needs to get right.

Back
Top Bottom