• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Spec me an i5 system

Soldato
I need a new parts to build my uncle a new PC.

He wants to overclock and 8GB RAM would be ideal as he's into photoshop.

He's got around £750 to spend. Just the computer as he has everything else.

:)

Associate
Here's a quick spec I've put together for you, I didn't include a case as I always think that it's down to personal preference. The 750 i5 should overclock nicely on the Asus board from what I've read, you should be able to get at least 3.8GHz with the cooler I included. There's a nice guide on Bit Tech on how to overclock the i5 750 on all the major motherboards.

You could downgrade the graphics card to something cheaper if your uncle is not a gamer, this could put money towards a case. I included three drives, my preference would be to run two of the drives in RAID 0 for maximum performance and then one drive as a scratch drive for Photoshop and backup for important files.

750Corei5PhotoshopSpec.png

Associate
lol both systems spec 1366 coolers.

something like the artic cooling rev 2 would be a more sensible choice as it will actually fit ;)

Permabanned
lol both systems spec 1366 coolers.

something like the artic cooling rev 2 would be a more sensible choice as it will actually fit ;)

lol !! :D Your right.

Just amended my post so he knows. Its one of those things your trying to keep the numbers right for the build and those little things slip.

Your spot on , the Arctic freezer rev 2 is ideal.:D

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the input guys :)

Are the motherboards tried and tested, as such?

Quietest cooler would be great. I 'hear' the Noctua's are pretty good?

Permabanned
Thanks for the input guys :)

Are the motherboards tried and tested, as such?

Quietest cooler would be great. I 'hear' the Noctua's are pretty good?

Hi m8 ,

The board i listed in the potential build is a winner. I am currently using a 1366 setup so have no hands on experience with the 1156. From the reviews and what others around the place are saying the Asus seem rock solid across the 1156 range. This being the deluxe its probably the ideal board. I would say its a good very safe bet.

Regarding the coolers , the Noctua is very good. Probably one of , if not the best for the 1156. But they really do cost for the 1156 compatible version. See here http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-010-NC&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=1395

This is sort of untested , however the early words from this cooler maker are very positive. It also reminds me of the Titan Fenrir in design. Check it out here http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-009-AL&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=1395 But its a fair bit cheaper too.
But i can understand going with the Noctua as its tried and test and supremely good.

You might be able to downgrade the Asus Deluxe mobo in my attached build pic in post #2 , to the next price Asus board down. This will enable you to use the Noctua and still keep the price of the build down near your original £750 price.

Good luck

McT

Soldato
Artec Rev 2 is a great cooler, however it's fan caught the memory on my gigabyte board and had to fit the cooler the wrong way around. Not ideal really.

Soldato
OP
Think I'll go with the Noctua as it's a proven cooler. Would have liked the Prolimatech Megahalems but the fittings are not going to be available for a while by the looks of things. Plus the Noctua comes with the fans.

I take it you can use the dual PWM adapter to run both fans off the motherboard?

Associate
id get a i7 860 if he was doing photoshop work and a 5770 incase he ever wants mulitple screens to work on (plus they dont use much power)

Associate
dude i spec myself a system well, board, cpu, ram, gfx card and it came to £430.
It was the lowest i5 with a gigabyte board, 4GB DDR3 and an ATI 4870.

Also did a AMD spec and it came to about the same price.

Back
Top Bottom