World of Goo 1 year old today - Pay what ever price you want for it!

Soldato
I'm a little depressed as to how many people are paying $0.01. I know you CAN do this, but surely that doesn't mean you SHOULD do this.

Surely if people can't be bothered to even spend a whole $1 it means this is an experiment which no one is going to repeat in a hurry.

hmm, it is annoying, but the thing with software is it's free to make a digital copy so it doesn't really matter how many people take it for 1p; as long as enough people take it at a decent price :)

B@

Associate
It's quite sad really that in an environment where publishers continually try to drive prices up to make money, when someone goes out on a limb and offers something like this, rather than people giving a decent couple of quid and thus making the point that people will reward good content and forward thinking, everyone just takes the **** and donates less than a penny.

What has just been demonstrated only goes to prove such publishers right - people aren't honest enough to reward such schemes and so if they won't even give up a quid voluntarily, what incentive is there for publishers to release games at lower prices? All we've shown is that largely, unless it costs them literally sod all, people aren't interested.

Honestly, you might as well have pirated it, at least that way you wouldn't have cost the developer the bandwidth cost of providing you your 1 penny game.

I was just thinking the same, well said!

Permabanned
Its an engineering game.

The purpose is effectively to make engineering structures only using a set number of peices, without making any part of it so weak it collapses..

Imagine building a bridge, that can only be supported on the left hand side. You have 3 HUGE helium balloons .. where abouts are you going to place them to ensure no part of the bridge is so weak it collapses? You've only got 4 'peices' to support the bridge off the floor. Where is the best 'structure supporting' area to place them? etc ..

Engineering game ..

Klo

Klo

Soldato
It's quite sad really that in an environment where publishers continually try to drive prices up to make money, when someone goes out on a limb and offers something like this, rather than people giving a decent couple of quid and thus making the point that people will reward good content and forward thinking, everyone just takes the **** and donates less than a penny.

What has just been demonstrated only goes to prove such publishers right - people aren't honest enough to reward such schemes and so if they won't even give up a quid voluntarily, what incentive is there for publishers to release games at lower prices? All we've shown is that largely, unless it costs them literally sod all, people aren't interested.

Honestly, you might as well have pirated it, at least that way you wouldn't have cost the developer the bandwidth cost of providing you your 1 penny game.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Soldato
Can anyone explain to me what the aim of the game is? The videos are most unhelpful and I won't buy the game until I have at least some idea of what it is. :confused:

Download the demo and give it a whirl, there are a reasonable number of levels to play through to give you a good indication whether or not to buy it.

Permabanned

Its been out for a year and no doubt they have made a profit on the game, plus asking someone to pay what ever they want for something is going to used accordingly.

I have still got no email from them, wtf am I suppose to do.

Associate
Got this last night, already have it but bought it for $2 for someone else.

Great game and amazing for the guys to make an offer like this.

Associate
To be fair to everyone paying a cent, it is billed as an experiment, and this far after release, sales of the game have probably dropped to the point where the publicity raised will get them sales they never would have had- I for instance would never have bought it otherwise, but paid $5 today-basically $5 they wouldn't have got at all.

All the users who pay a cent most likely wouldn't have bought it at any price, so no loss- $0.01 is better than $0.00 after all.

They're not stupid, and they wouldn't have done it if it wouldn't benefit. I wonder if they'll release any figures.

Soldato
To be fair to everyone paying a cent, it is billed as an experiment, and this far after release, sales of the game have probably dropped to the point where the publicity raised will get them sales they never would have had- I for instance would never have bought it otherwise, but paid $5 today-basically $5 they wouldn't have got at all.

All the users who pay a cent most likely wouldn't have bought it at any price, so no loss- $0.01 is better than $0.00 after all.

They're not stupid, and they wouldn't have done it if it wouldn't benefit. I wonder if they'll release any figures.

Yep, I agree - I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't really cheap as whilst I enjoyed the demo I didn't enjoy it enough to part money. I donated $0.05 and I'm not ashamed to say that, they get 4p off me that they wouldn't have. Plus if they didn't want people to buy it very cheaply then they would have put a minimum donation of $x.

Soldato
Put it this way.

Everyone who was going to seriously buy it (more or less) will have bought it buy now, probably via steam. The game has been out a long time, and I imagine the developer has moved onto another project by now. This way, they get the game into loads more peoples PCs, and thus some additional awareness of their brand that wouldn't have been there before. They also probably have additional email addresses to send out details on upcoming projects and the mobile versions etc.

I don't think they would have let you name a price unless they believed the game had pretty much reached saturation point, and not much more money would be made. I'm sure that this offer will increase profits for this month, despite the low prices most people will have been paying. Also makes for a neat marketing experiment too give a better indication as to how much money they can take if the game is priced lower that 20USD etc.

Associate
Has everyone forgot about the publicity, yes i donated $0.01, but the sheer amount of marketing and publicy this game and developers will get, is going to be more rewarding than $3 will ever be. And thats not even including the respect from other developers and gaming enthuisiasts.

I'm sure most people have never even heard of this game nor the developers?
I for one, thought it sounded familiar but didn't know it.

This will pay off more in the long run.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also makes for a neat marketing experiment too give a better indication as to how much money they can take if the game is priced lower that 20USD etc.

...and this is what I think is sad.

Rather than people demonstrating they'd be happy to give a few quid for something decent, most have seemingly just shown that unless they can get something **** takingly cheap, they aren't interested in stuff that isn't Call of Duty or FIFA.

So in future, all this experiment will likely have told them is that beyond a small group of people who were happy to pay $10 or something, the rest would rather just take advantage of such generosity.

There is going to be no incentive to perhaps price something at $10 instead of $20 in future because rather than this demonstrating that people would deem it worth that, it has more likely shown that if someone didn't reckon it was worth $20, they don't reckon it's worth more than $.01.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom