system build final thoughts

Associate
im about ready to build my new computer now...or at least start waiting for all the parts hehe.

just wanted to know peoples thoughts on it. its mainly for gaming but its also for genral use and uni (software development tools such as vsC++ / eclipse etc...)
the goal is to spend enough to not need to upgrade again for quite some time, looking at around the 1500 mark (give or take depending on necesity)

i'v already read countless "spec me" threads and would like any constructive advice. iv reasently decided not to go for SSD's as too many people tell me "wait a year or two and the tech will be much better"

heres the build thus far:

will also be getting:
corsair HX750W PSU
Antex 1200 case
150GB WD VelociRaptor
Total = £371.01

OcUk said they would swap out the cooler in the bundle for THIS hence the two scythe fans.

raptor will be for OS, Games and development tools, while the 1TB HDD will be for everything else.

also have on question, does the ASUS 5850 have voltage tweek tech like the 5870 and 4890? i'v read all over that they do but it isnt stated on the site (like those others).

cheres.

Associate
OP
it just occured to me that the sound card (extreme gamer) might be optimised for headphones users. is this the case? as i dont use headphones (just two speakers hooked up to an apmlifier)

Last edited:
Soldato
Personaly i would ditch the raptor,i got one last xmas and found very little improvement/speed increase.But other people say they are great.
Only speed i found was in loading a few games(HL 2 for instance)made little or no increase in loading windows
I have now got a Crucial 128g SSD and it flys compared to my raptor
Just my 2p worth :)

Soldato
And i think the card isn't for headphone uses. I'm sure its for speaker cofigs. I don;'t know personally, but my dad has the xi fi gamer fitality version and its amazing with his 5.1 setup. I'm sure the card you have picked is just fine :D

Associate
OP
Personaly i would ditch the raptor,i got one last xmas and found very little improvement/speed increase.But other people say they are great.
Only speed i found was in loading a few games(HL 2 for instance)made little or no increase in loading windows
I have now got a Crucial 128g SSD and it flys compared to my raptor
Just my 2p worth :)

well the Crucal was up there instead of the raptor for a while.
does anyone have any knowledge on SSD and weather i should re-consider it. having heard about them a few years ago i would have thought they would have kicked off by now, or are people right in saying there not 'quite' ready yet.

as for the sound card, :) good to know its not aimed towards headphones...especialy since i already have an X-Fi gamer in my current system, and i wouldent know where to begin when chooseing between that and the Xonar D2X. can anyone vouch for both cards or shal i just go for the cheepest?

cheres.

Back
Top Bottom