• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Abit IP35 & GTX 275

Associate
Hi
A mate is having problems getting his new GTX 275 (Gainward) working with the Abit IP35 mobo.
His old card is a 8600GT.
When he instals the new card the PC just will not boot into the bios.
He has bought a 700w PSU so its not that, all power connectors are connected so its not that (well, he says they are!).
We have even flashed the bios to the latest version incase it was a problem there with the mobo being PCI-e 1.1 and the card being PCI-e v2. We have googled it and v2 is backwardly compatible with v1.
He has taken it back to the shop and they have tested it and says it worked fine in there test rig (it was missing its celafane when he got it).

So, what should we try next?

Cheers guys

Associate
I have my GTX275 currently sat in an Abit IP-35 Pro board & it's working alright. I thought I'd mention it so you know that it can actually work with the board. My GTX 275 is from XFX though not Gainward. (Although this GTX275 is soon going in my next rig) Perhaps try your BFG GTX275 in his comp just to see if there is any difference? I know it's a hassle but it may help atleast identify that particular GTX275 as the problem or rule it out?

Associate
i have a ip-35 pro mobo also and when i 1st got it i couldnt get it to recognise a hdd , i think what finally done it was having 1 stick of ram in when installing new hardware so mabe same thing can be said about ur gfx card hope this helped , mind u this was 1-2 years ago my memory is not upto scratch

Associate
I have had a problem once with my 8800gt. After removing one of RAM stick it did start fine. Than I have added second stick and didnt have any problems since then.

Associate
OP
Right, he tried the 1 stick of ram trick, did not work! So he tried just the other stick, still not work!
It would be a cheap 700w PSU knowing my mate, but it was supplied by the repitable shop that supplied the card (OcUK!).
700w should be fine regardless of how expensive. He has 2 hdd's, Q6600 at stock, this card and think he is using on board sound!
I have a 620w and I have 2xhdd's, 1xssd, Asus sonar (has a floppy power supply connector!) oc'd Q9550 @ 4GHz, water pump, 8x120mm fans and the GTX275 on mine!
Mind you, I am thinking it might be time to get a bigger one!! Oh err!!!

Associate
just so you no i have had a gainward 260 gtx and that abit board and could not get it to work also,
i ended up changing brands swapped it with my mates inno 3d gtx 260 and it worked fine.

i no you are talking about the 275 but thought it worth posting.

Associate
OP
All power connectors including one on mobo are correctly fitted.
Have told him to double check and I know he knows enough to be properly fitted.
Told him to take the whole pc to the shop and ask them to try an alternative brand in it!

Associate
OP
just so you no i have had a gainward 260 gtx and that abit board and could not get it to work also,
i ended up changing brands swapped it with my mates inno 3d gtx 260 and it worked fine.

i no you are talking about the 275 but thought it worth posting.

You hit the nail on the head there mate!
I got fed up with my mate moaning so drove the 180miles with my BFG GTX275 and tried that, it worked!
Sorted his cable routing out, it was like a bramble bush in there! And fitted his 2 hdd's as when he tried the larger card they fowled so he just sat them in the bottom!
Anyway, we then drove to OCuk who agreed to issue a refund on the Gainward card and he bought a OCuk GTX285, which works!

Now I can at last get back to Cod,WaW and OF:DR and my wait for MW2!

Happy days!

Associate
OP
The BFG card is an Nvidia reference design I believe where as the Gainward is not.

The Gainward has 2 nice big fans but does not direct the airflow out the back of the case but just 'into' the surrounding air.

Also when you look on the reverse the layout of the main components seems to be different. But I am only going on screw placings and quanity of soldered items in certain areas!

Back
Top Bottom