just built a new system and cant get it to work:(

Associate
right so when i turn it on it says "no drives found" and then just goes to a blinking cursor. im trying to load windows on it but it doesnt recognise the drives even though they are in the bios settings....

also, if i unplug the HDD it still says no drives found, but it will boot the windows disk. i thought this could be due to jumper settings but sata drives dont need jumper settings do they?!

another thing is that the 1st time i turned it on, everything worked fine, but i didnt have a keyboard plugged in so i had to restart it and that's where the problems began,

any ideas???

Associate
Installed raid drivers-F6??? on boot i think?, that is the only time i have ever seen no drives detected was when i forgot to install them. other than that have you checked the connection to the mobo?

Last edited:
Associate
If it worked the first time without the keyboard try clearing the CMOS and reboot.

Are the Sata channels enabled in the bios?

Also try another Sata slot on the motherboard.

Associate
How many hdd have you got and what os.This can havppe if you have a raid/hdci or something setup if you are installing xp you will need a sata controller driver via floppyThis is if you have more than 1 hdd of course.

Associate
OP
Installed raid drivers-F6??? on boot i think?, that is the only time i have ever seen no drives detected was when i forgot to install them. other than that have you checked the connection to the mobo?

well it wont let me get this far!

If it worked the first time without the keyboard try clearing the CMOS and reboot.

Are the Sata channels enabled in the bios?

Also try another Sata slot on the motherboard.

im gonna try this now cheers.

Associate
OP
How many hdd have you got and what os.This can havppe if you have a raid/hdci or something setup if you are installing xp you will need a sata controller driver via floppyThis is if you have more than 1 hdd of course.

theres only the 1 harddrive mate, im trying to install XP.

Associate
right so when i turn it on it says "no drives found" and then just goes to a blinking cursor. im trying to load windows on it but it doesnt recognise the drives even though they are in the bios settings....

also, if i unplug the HDD it still says no drives found, but it will boot the windows disk. i thought this could be due to jumper settings but sata drives dont need jumper settings do they?!

another thing is that the 1st time i turned it on, everything worked fine, but i didnt have a keyboard plugged in so i had to restart it and that's where the problems began,

any ideas???

Quoting the original because it's more relevant to my answer...

SATA drives are usually set to Cable Select (CS) so it's not really as relevent as it used to be, now you say the Windows disc boots up when the HDD isn't connect but not otherwise? Perhaps it's because of the boot order, it's trying to boot from HDD before CD/DVD drive running into that error & not even trying the disc, so perhaps checking out & re-arranging boot order in BIOS would be 1st thing I'd check to make sure CD/DVD drive were booting before the HDD. Edit: Is Native USB Legacy Support disabled or enabled? (In reference to the keyboard)

Associate
OP
What are the specs? Components?

it's a p7p55d motherboard, with an i5 processor, 4gb ram, Samsung SpinPoint F1 320GB HDD

Quoting the original because it's more relevant to my answer...

SATA drives are usually set to Cable Select (CS) so it's not really as relevent as it used to be, now you say the Windows disc boots up when the HDD isn't connect but not otherwise? Perhaps it's because of the boot order, it's trying to boot from HDD before CD/DVD drive running into that error & not even trying the disc, so perhaps checking out & re-arranging boot order in BIOS would be 1st thing I'd check to make sure CD/DVD drive were booting before the HDD.

tried this mate, but with no luck :( it says no drives found even when the drive is plugged in

Soldato
this happened to me and it turned out my hdd was dead.

another time it would just tell me 'press any key to boot' but it would go any further. that time the hdd was dead too

Associate
You using a sata or IDE hard drive, only an xp with sp2 slpistreamed in will have the drivers. You can download the sata drivers and put them on a floppy disk and press f6 (or whatever f key) to load additional scsi devices, if you don't have a floppy you will need to create a slipstreamed xp install.

Google has plenty of guides on how to do this.

Don
explain in one post, fully what is happening, sounds like you need the ahci/raid/sata drier for your sata controller.

try setting the hard drive to IDE mode, or use driverpacks.net to integrate the sata drivers into the disc, and make it SP3 whilst you're at it.

should be using Vista or better, Windows 7 on this new machine.

Back
Top Bottom