Zalman CNPS9500A cooler

Soldato
Hi

Just installed one of these. Appears pretty decent. Maybe could do with being PWM compliant as well. This would then give you the option of either using the BIOS, or the Fanmate to control the fan speed.

But.. Zalman's WEB site says the fixing to connect the fan to the backplate etc. is a screw type (even has a little interactive diagram to show this) but mine came with a sprung metal bracket that clips to either side of the plate. Appears firm enough, but the screw arrangement looks better. Wonder why they've changed it?

If anyone out there has bought one of these from OcUk recently, what sort of 775 fixing came with it out of interest?

One disadvantage of the clip arrangement, is that on a smaller mobo like the GA-P35-DS3L, it fouls the firm RAM socket. Meaning you have to move the two RAM stick over into the outer sockets. No problem I suppose if you only have two. Think I shall write a review and mention this, as it might be a problem for someone.

Soldato
I'll post a picture of my one later but it just came with a plastic bracket to screw onto the 775 mobo (I use a G41 mobo) then place the cooler and hold it in place with a metal clip/bracket which has a hole in the middle to clip at either end of the bracket. As far as I'm aware you have the same arrangement.

Soldato
OP
I'll post a picture of my one later but it just came with a plastic bracket to screw onto the 775 mobo (I use a G41 mobo) then place the cooler and hold it in place with a metal clip/bracket which has a hole in the middle to clip at either end of the bracket. As far as I'm aware you have the same arrangement.

Sounds the same arrangement.

Only down side really, is that it does mean the cooler can sort of rotate slightly side to side (if you see what I mean).
IE. it does not hold the fan totally rigid to the plastic plate fixed on the mobo.
Probably not a problem if you don't move you PC round much.

Soldato
The cooler does slide about a little if you use force but need a lot of force. Moving the case about I don't think there will be any problems.

Must admit though, it's a cracking cooler for £12. :)

Soldato
OP
For anyone that might be interested. Here are a couple of pictures:

fan1.jpg

fan2.jpg

You can clearly see in these photos how the clip on the right hand side of the HSF blocks the first RAM socket.

Would still have preferred the fan to screw into the plate fixed to the mobo, on all four side would give a 100% solid fit. Looks like not many after market HSF's do this these days. The problem with generic mountings (IE. for multiple sockets) I suppose.

Quite pleased otherwise though. Idle temps now around 25/26C, though pretty cold up here in Scotlandshire (well... on the two cores where the sensors arn't "stuck"). Rising to 45/50C under load with Prime95 torture test for a couple of hours on all four cores (IE. the stuck sensors start moving when they heat up).

Back
Top Bottom