Waterproofing a camera

Soldato
What things are available to waterproof (outdoor not underwater although may suit) a canon 450D with a 70 - 300 zoom lens (will change for a 70 - 200 hopfully before christmas). After shooting in dreadful weather on tuesday and getting word back from the paper that they want to use more of my photos at away football matches I think i need something a bit classier than a Tesco bag covering my lens!:D

Any suggestions?

Man of Honour
Optech do something similar for a fair bit less - 2 for about £15 or so. It's just a glorified poly bag with a drawstring closure at the lens end and an L shaped bit at the other end. You take the eyepiece cover off the camera, poke the eyepiece through a hole in the bag and replace the cover to hold it in place.

I've been using them for a while quite successfully.

Associate
Google Storm Jacket. They arent cheap at about £30~ for a mid sized lens but are like a rain coat maternial with draw strings. I have one for my 40d 70-200f4 combo and it works very well.

All of the suggestions on this forum work best though on lenses that do not extend externally (like the 70-200).

Soldato
Optech do something similar for a fair bit less - 2 for about £15 or so. It's just a glorified poly bag with a drawstring closure at the lens end and an L shaped bit at the other end. You take the eyepiece cover off the camera, poke the eyepiece through a hole in the bag and replace the cover to hold it in place.

I've been using them for a while quite successfully.

2nd vote for this, £4.99 for a pack of 2, can't go wrong, and they're fine for lenses up to 200mm.

Soldato
OP
Just ordered a couple of the rain sleeves from Optech. Dont think they'll arrive before I head down to london on Wednesday but looks like there is chances of rain while I'm down there so maybe not the ideal weather for taking photos. They will however put me in good stead for the bleak winter months of Scottish Football :D

Think I'm getting a couple of pictures in this weeks local paper from the last couple of matches so I'm happy with that :)

Back
Top Bottom