VX220 Turbo as daily drive?

Soldato
Just wondering what these are like for a daily drive?

Currently drive a st24 with 18" wheels with 35 profile tyres, aftermarket suspension kit (weitec) and find the ride absolutely fine.

Will the VX be much harsher on the road for a daily drive?

These have been off my radar however quite impressed with the performace/value figues recently.

Thanks

Man of Honour
You need to speak to Sam on here - he had a VX220 as his daily driver and after a few months decided that whilst it was a good idea in theory it just didnt work in practice.

Soldato
I've been in a non-turbo VX and, while an impressive car, I wouldnt want to live with one daily. Cramped, noisy and very hard ride

Soldato
again, sam is the man to speak to. I believe he had to actually get rid because of issues with his new driveway.

I personally couldnt see much issue with one as a daily drive. Im sure you could beg/borrow another car off a mate/family member if you desperately needed more space as a one off.

Soldato
GinG. It would depend on your physical stature, If you are tall or broad then I would forget it as getting in and out is tricky at best.
I am 6'3" and I have to fold myself into my mate Elise S2, when the roof is up, no problem with the roof off however. The Elise S1 is even worse!

Associate
I lived with a Vx220 for 3 years a daily driver. I loved it. The only small niggles - don't go shopping to Ikea or B&Q in it. Also in the winter, get a garage and a 12v heater, as the heater in this vehicle is terrible, it takes 5minutes to clear the screen in the winter, at the least.

But as the ride goes, i live currently in the village with the most speed bumps in the uk.. and it's fine, it was no worse then my old mg zr on standard suspension.

You'll love the speed, the handling and the the attention it gets, and you'll hate the heater and lack of boot space for larger items.

Soldato
There are various heater mods to improve that, and Im told a load of moisture absorbing bags from camping shops work wonders at reducing misting on a morning.

Pretty much set on a NA as my next car, so I have been doing my research!

Soldato
Ride comfort isn't the issues with Elise/VX, its the general practicalities of it.

I'm 6'4" and while it required some measure of flexibility, I never had any real issues with my S1 Elise, you get used to the technique. Just don't use the doors to lift yourself out as most passengers do - you'll damage the hinge or the winder mechanism.

But as for everyday use - if you can live without a small boot, only 2 seats, a rubbish heater and relatively poor side/rearward visibility, you'll be fine.

Edit - I'm looking to buy an S2 Exige in the new year. I really *really* miss my Elise...awesome cars.

Soldato
Ride comfort isn't the issues with Elise/VX, its the general practicalities of it.

I'm 6'4" and while it required some measure of flexibility, I never had any real issues with my S1 Elise, you get used to the technique. Just don't use the doors to lift yourself out as most passengers do - you'll damage the hinge or the winder mechanism.

But as for everyday use - if you can live without a small boot, only 2 seats, a rubbish heater and relatively poor side/rearward visibility, you'll be fine.

Edit - I'm looking to buy an S2 Exige in the new year. I really *really* miss my Elise...awesome cars.

Interesting, I am 6'5" and had always thought it would be rediculous, now you make me think.

Associate
Plenty of people do use them as daily drivers. Some people find they can't get on with them; there's no creature comforts with them.

I don't use mine daily - I have a company car - but I would definitely use mine as a daily driver if I didn't have the Mondeo.

Soldato
I'd say it depends entirely on what your daily drive is, If its a 50mile each way commute on the motorways then id advise against such a car, if it's like my route, mostly A roads or I can go another route which is country lane hooning, then a VX220 would be great. (also there is no traffic when i travel to work!)

I drive an S2000 as my daily driver (15mile each way) and couldn't imagine driving anything else for pure fun factor. Although S2000 has a lot more creature comforts than a VX220 and is a lot more comfortable, plus I can fit my weeks shopping in it!

Last edited:
Soldato
:cool:

8-1.jpg

I use mine as a daily driver, fits the shopping at Tescos with ease and is more than comfortable for the odd motorway journey. I've done 9K since April :o :D

The only downsides are the constant rattles/squeaks and pot holes feel like you're driving off a cliff :p

Neil.

Soldato
OP
I guess it will be a matter of going in a test drive, see how I find it at 1st, I guess in the 1st 10min or so you will know if you could do without the creature comforts!

My commute is approx 15 miles A roads, or a choice or 15 miles of B roads.

I guess its a matter of own opinion. 1 person could be fine with it whilst another couldn't hack it.

Cheers for your input guys.

Man of Honour
I know it's not quite in the same league but I had a 236bhp MX5 with a few suspension modifications and despite being a little broad and tall coped with it fine for 2 years as a daily driver, and for trips abroad as well as going shopping!

Soldato
I didn't find the Elise too uncomfortable for daily use, I just found it restricting as I couldn't pop to Ikea or wherever as the boot was non existant.

Guess that's what friends with sensible cars are for...

Back
Top Bottom