• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official omg I just got my 57xx thread ***

Associate
DSC01134.jpg

Box contents

DVI-VGA adaptor
Xfire connector
Molex - 6 pin power convertor
Battle forge - full game
Driver CD
Installation manual.

Associate
Well, its in, it works fine, and its a fair bit smaller than the 4870 (and easier to fit in my HTPC by a long way).

It clocks down nicely when idle, but only to 400 core, 900 memory when I'm watching TV, which is not as good as I expected.

Temp wise, it sits around 48 degrees, rather than 60odd for the 4870, but this is all down to how fast the fan wants to spin, so it not really a fair comparison.

The noise at idle is a little bit quieter, the fan doesn't seem to want to go less than 35% regardless of temp, but as its a smaller fan it seems to be more of a 'whiney' sound than the 4870, so I'm not sure which I prefer.

Don't let that put you off though, the card may not be a lot quieter, but the differance in the amount of heat chucked off is huge, so the PC is a lot cooler, and my 2 case fans (which are controlled by speedfan) sit at minimum speed all the time, so overall everything is a log quieter.

As for under load, I've only really been playing Batman AA so far. Performance seems rock solid at 1920x1080, no noticeable differance to the 1Gb 4870, and under load the card is a lot quieter.

So, on the whole, its been a good change for me. The Dirt2 voucher was a good little bonus too.

Soldato
Sounds good...I'd love a 5850 but can't really afford one now, and need a new card before I install the retail version of Win7...thinking I'll get one of these now, and hopefully pick up a second in 6 months or so for ~£100 :D

Let us know how your Xfiring goes HeX. What motherboard are you running?

Associate
Thinking of getting 1 of these to replace my XFX 4870 1GB which uses some stupid cooler which blows all the hot air into my Shuttle case, which simply boils the damn thing up. Im right in thinking it blows the heat out the back ? Are the power requirements low on these too ? This could be the card im after (its slightly more powerfull than my 4870 too right ?).

Soldato
Thinking of getting 1 of these to replace my XFX 4870 1GB which uses some stupid cooler which blows all the hot air into my Shuttle case, which simply boils the damn thing up. Im right in thinking it blows the heat out the back ? Are the power requirements low on these too ? This could be the card im after (its slightly more powerfull than my 4870 too right ?).

this will answer some/all of your questions

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-review-test/

Associate
i would like to know why the 5770 has only 1 side fitted with ram sinks (gpu side) , would not both sides need cooling ?

I notice that the RAM chips are sat directly opposite each other. A surprising amount of heat can be transfered through the PCB (I once built a system with a fan blowing directly onto the back of the processor location of the motherboard & the CPU temp dropped by 5 degrees!). I guess that either one set of ramsinks is enough to keep both sides cool in this way, or it simply doesn't need ramsinks at all.

Soldato
i wonder how many people will buy this card ? , but it seems every one is going for the 58** series lol . look at the stock level of the 5770's , they still have over 10+ of each brand so they are not selling as well ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom