• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Make FSX fly

Associate
Hi all,

Firstly I have a : -

ASRock Conroe 1333-d667
Dual core intel Pentium D 925 3000 mhz
2 gig ddr2-667 SDRAM

and a 4830 ati graphics card

FSX and my computer in genreal is running slow - its starts out ok and then just slowley grinds to a halt!

What can I do to quicken things up - can I just upgrade the RAM would that make a big difference or is it a CPU job!

p.s I am running Vista 32bit

many thanks guys!

Soldato
FSX likes fast CPUs it's not so fussy about GPU power. An overclocked i5 would see a massive improvement. If you aren't up for replacing the motherboard, you could look at which quad cores your board might take (and whether you'll be able to successfully overclock).

Permabanned
Id look at trying to OC what your currently have a little first. You might get it safe @ 3.4ghz and could see the frame improvements needed to play it without jitter.

If your looking to change things a little , see if you can pick up a Q6600 second hand for around £90. Should pop right in your existing build. Add another 2GB memory and your laughing ready to go.

McT

Man of Honour
Hi all,

Firstly I have a : -

ASRock Conroe 1333-d667
Dual core intel Pentium D 925 3000 mhz
2 gig ddr2-667 SDRAM

and a 4830 ati graphics card

FSX and my computer in genreal is running slow - its starts out ok and then just slowley grinds to a halt!

What can I do to quicken things up - can I just upgrade the RAM would that make a big difference or is it a CPU job!

p.s I am running Vista 32bit

many thanks guys!

RAM would be wasted as the rest of the system would be letting you down.

I'd think about replacing the CPU: you can stick in any Core 2 Duo CPU based on the Conroe chip, but you cannot stick a quad core CPU into it.

Look for used E6600s (seem pretty common at the moment): you won't get access to MM for another 225-odd posts, so look on other websites for used action.

Associate
OP
RAM would be wasted as the rest of the system would be letting you down.

I'd think about replacing the CPU: you can stick in any Core 2 Duo CPU based on the Conroe chip, but you cannot stick a quad core CPU into it.

Look for used E6600s (seem pretty common at the moment): you won't get access to MM for another 225-odd posts, so look on other websites for used action.

Would one of these help?

Intel Core™2 Duo E6600, 2.4 GHz E6600 OEM PROCESSOR

Will that be much better for FSX?

Soldato
Would one of these help?

Intel Core™2 Duo E6600, 2.4 GHz E6600 OEM PROCESSOR

Will that be much better for FSX?

Not unless you overclock it I wouldn't have thought. It will be faster at stock (2.4GHz) than your dual core pentium at 3GHz, but I wouldn't have thought it would be night and day.

Associate
OP
alright i is getting the picture i am screwed! So what do i need to do to improve things! I can spend about 100 o 200! ill need a new motherboard and CPU? What do you guys recommend?

Back
Top Bottom