• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

next gen gfx cards that will turn my head?

Associate
There has only been two graphic cards in my PC career (12 years) which have made a breakthough in graphics technology. The 3DFX voodoo and the Nvidia 8800 series cards. You distincly noticed the improvement in the graphics.

I've recently upgraded to an i7/GTX 295 rig. The graphics/speed is an improvement but nothing that really compared against my C2D/8800GTX.

Am I just immune to fancy graphics? I wonder when next gen of cards will be released which will revolutionise the gaming industry like the older cards did?

ruskie

Man of Honour
You are forgetting the GeForce.

TnL changed computer gaming graphics muchos.

Voodoo
GeForce

3 big cards.

*Cough* Radeon 9700 Pro*Cough*

New cards are all about the image quality and potential (but as yet unseen) improvements arriving with DX10/11, together with very high resolutions. The adequacy threshold for 90% of users iwth modern games in mind was hit with the 8800GTX three years ago: everything else has just been a refinement of that process.

As such, you won't really notice too much difference in cards unless your monitor does over 1920x1200. the key thing about the latest generation of Radeons is the use of SuperSampling AA, which is where every single bit of the displayed image is AA'd. Which requires serious power to achieve at respectable frame rates.

Consdering there haven't been significant developments in game engines since Crysis, I wouldn't hold your breath until the next generation of consoles pops up.

Soldato
What about the geforce 6800 series with SM3? People laughed at first then cried later when Splinter Cell etc wouldn't work on their X800.

Back
Top Bottom