Need some help Kaspersky has failed me!!

Associate
Morning,

I installed Kaspersky ISS (Internet Security Suite) 2010 on my mums laptop. This morning when she tried to use it Windows security alert said there was a high levek 1 trojan.

When I went to see why Kaspersky hadn't picked it up it wouldn't let me in saying that I might not have the admin rights. I should also note that the symbol was no longer the "K" logo but the one window uses when it doesn't recognise the program. Anyways, just to be sure I went and set the admin rights to everyone and it still won't let me in.

So basically, the laptop is now quite slow and unresponsive and I can't access the ISS. What do I do?

Heeeelllllppp!!

Thanks people! :)

Associate
First of all, unless you have seen the original trojan warning then consider it as possibly being part of the virus itself. There is a class of fake malware programs that are often not picked up by spyware scanners and virus scanners.

If you want to try a clean then get malwarebytes antimalware (or spyware blaster), update it and do a scan (in safe mode is best).

If you are concerned about not being able to update malwarebytes then get the latest install file, and go to their forum for a recent updates file that can be downloaded too.

If you want to run Kaspersky then don't use any shortcuts, open Explorer and browse to the Kaspersky exe file in Program Files.

Associate
OP
You're the ONLY person I've ever had tell me it's not rubbish! Even O/C told me it was crap... they have even stopped selling it!

The way it uses ALL your system memory and then slows down your entire system just do do a scan is ridiculous!!

Sorry I don't mean to be obnoxious I just hate Kaspesky :)

No idea where it came from. She just checked her Hotmail last night and then this morning and then it was riddled this morning. She checked two e-mails both of which I also recieved and I got nothing??

Soldato
Sounds to me like the malware was already on the machine and subsequently killed Kaspersky after you installed it. And that's not Kaspersky's fault; any antivirus that was installed after an infection would have a hard time because some malware is sophisticated enough to disable AV if it has enough access rights.

I reckon if you formatted the machine, installed Kaspersky and then gave her a standard account you'd have no trouble.

Associate
OP
The Kaspersky has been on the machine since the day it was purchased (about 1 month ago). I installed it and only went online afterwards to get the updates and register etc....

Goiung to try this Malwarebytes :)

Associate
Kaspersky is probaby the Best AV and Full Internet security package cant be beaten, its the best software in its class. OC probably no longer sell it because it requires a premium rate , which not many like to pay when theres free av packages around.

Associate
OP
Haha I ran into some hostility by dissing Kaspesrsky didn't I?
I don't rate it what so ever. Its use of memory is stupid.

Anywho... downloaded malwarebytes, installed,updated but then when I try to scan it gets about 5 seconds into it then just dissapears. And then guess what?? I can't open the program again as I am not the administrator!!

Nasty little ****** this... Any other ideas or am I doomed to a fresh install??

Thanks again peeps!!

Associate
OP
Yep I'm sure. Tbf I think it is a Vista 64bit bug maybe?

It was only 2 months ago (ish) that I got my new sytem (below). It would literally fly until I done a scan. Then you could open task manager and watch the mem usage rise from 1gb ish all the way up to 4gb before it would then freeze up for about 30 mins before you could use it again.

It was the 1st thing that made me join the forum for help and my thread was filled with people slating it and saying it was a fault with the 2010 edition.

Like I said I'm not aiming to be rude or sound obnoxious... It's just that I really dislike Kaspersky. The fact that I have a free AV and my mums Laptop has Kaspersky and is in ruins from this only deepens my hatred.

Would a system restore not help in this situation?? As well would a fresh install cure it or am I going to have to do something more.

Thanks for helping even though I am bad mouthing your friend :)

Soldato
Kasperky is and still does have issues wth large zipz/rars and exes anything over 1Gb and esp over 2Gb really mess with it. It was meant to be recoded to account for this issue but as far as I know the best way to avoid the memory eating bug is to unchekc scanning of large archives in the Kaspersky settings.

Back
Top Bottom