Question about surfboards mines old

Associate
Ok basicly my service is cable and original NTL now Virgin aand just realised that
my curent surboard is a sb4100 probably over 10 years old so wasa wondering if getting a new 1 is worth itor has technology not really advanced as i know nothing about it.

if i was to upgrade which would be a good 1 to get as at the moment i have the surfboard then that leads to a router thats shared to 4 ways.

Caporegime
What service are you using? I believe Virgin were upgrading modems for their 10Mb service, not sure where the list of compatible modems is. Either way you can get it swapped with a phone call, but the Surfboards are pretty damn good modems.

Associate
OP
What service are you using? I believe Virgin were upgrading modems for their 10Mb service, not sure where the list of compatible modems is. Either way you can get it swapped with a phone call, but the Surfboards are pretty damn good modems.

Ye it is the surfboards were originally from NTL when virgin was NTL and we have had it years. i had a friend whos 1 blew after 3 years mines been going over 10 years and its always been fine i just wonder that with the connection speed going up and up will it be able to cope ?.

This is the 1 i have http://www.cablemodems.com/images/p...Fboard® Cable Modem SB4100motorola_sb4100.gif

mjd

mjd

Associate
My parents were suffering sub 56k performance issues with their 9 year old NTL branded effort on a 10Mb conection. No amount of talking to Bob in Bangladesh was getting them anywhere. I had a look and soon concluded the modem was weak link. Rather than jump through hoops, I rang Bob and told him the modem was dead, no lights nothing. A new modem was sent out and voila problem solved. So if you fancy a new one just for the hell of it...you know what to do :)

Associate
OP
That was the point I'm making - what service are you on? 10Mb? 20Mb?

said above virgin and unknown im guessing 10mb as i did a test with 4mb download but not sure. they keep updatin it for free and soon its going higher so was jsut checking incase i need a better 1.

Associate
As Caged said you'd need to phone up VM. They'll send you a new modem if yours is faulty or not up to the job. Whether it's up to the job will depend on the service you have - 20mbit and it'll definitely need replacing, 10mbit it might do, then again it might not.

You can't just go out and buy a cable modem. Apart from the fact you'd probably struggle to find one anywhere other than eBay, VM wouldn't allow you to use it.

Back
Top Bottom