• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4850 or 4870

Associate
Im wondering if i should get the 4850 or 4870, really all i play is Css and a few rts games, so would a 4850 do or should i get a 4870 for later games

Associate
Do you do anything more than CSS? If so you dont even need more than a 4830/4770, either is good enough. Is your current card not upto the job? 4850 is enough for current games, and some future depending on your resolution.

Associate
OP
not really, my card lags in css etc. i do play grid, css, ra3, bioshock those sort of games. was thinking 4850 would be enough but maybe throw that extra £15 for the 4870? i run on 1440x900 not a big resolution but good enough for me to be honest. i mostly use the pc for coursework and such as im on a games dev course, so would be good to get god games running for screenshots and ingame footage in assignments.

Associate
Well i have a 4850 and theres nothing bar maybe 1 game that i cant run full whack, even then thats just crysis. with the same size screen. I would look at your cpu and gpu usage to see which one is the limiting factor, upgrading both of those would give you a whole new lease of life. That motherboard with an upgrade would take an phenom II, and with a 4870 would be a powerful rig!

Associate
OP
im upgrading bit by bit, i dont get ema or have a job so getting money is kind of hard. Have to rely on parents atm as im only left school last year. Bought the mobo the other week, processor overclocked didnt make a fps difference so the card has to go. Need a good upgrade so i will probs go for 4870 then get a phenom 2 processor around xmas time

Back
Top Bottom